Links 23-24 March 2011
- Worried Syrian regime offers promise of change
Don't trust them.
- FT - Obama to Europe: bon courage
If correct this analysis is a great thing.
- Yemen Between Regime Survival and Systemic Change - Program on Arab Reform
- Al-Ahram Hebdo, Visages | L’homme de la situation
Brown-nosing profile of Sami Enan.
- Nadia Yassine : "Nous sommes plus proches du modèle turc" (vidéo)
Interview with daughter of Adl wal Ihsan leader.
- U.S. Presses Egypt, Gently, for More Time Before Polls - WSJ.com
I wonder if Gates raised, publicly or privately, concerns about military police torture, forced "virginity tests" and restrictions on freedom of assembly by the military.
- Student attendance falls to 30% in Alexandria schools | Al-Masry Al-Youm
Confirmed? If so this is awful.
- Corruption rampant within Al-Azhar, says grand sheikh | Al-Masry Al-Youm
He should consider himself lucky to have relinquished his NDP membership (under pressure.)
- Sanctions in 72 hours: How the U.S. pulled off a major freeze of Libyan assets - The Washington Post
Expected to freeze $100m, found over $32bn.
- FT - Saudis prepare to abandon Yemen
"The Saudi-backed al-Arabiya channel, which had played down the Bahrain revolt, on Tuesday used the headline “Change in Yemen,’’ instead of “Turmoil in Yemen,’’ to describe the protests."
- Syrian military seals off Daraa as death toll climbs
11-year old reported dead.
- Economist Debates: Arab revolutions
Angry Arab weighs in against Libya intervention; Menzies Campbell replies.
- FT - Anti-Gaddafi voices re-emerge in Tripoli