Links 10-13 May 2011
- Kalimat Magazine › Ahlan
New mag's first issue is online - beautifully designed.
- The "Arab Tienanmen" caused sharp criticism in the European Parliament
EU divided after Arab spring.
- The European Council on Foreign Relations | Egypt’s hybrid revolution: A bolder EU approach
- Asia Times: Hezbollah caught in vortex of chance
Nic Noe on Syrian uprising's impact.
- Policing and Prisons in the Middle East
New book by Laleh Khalili and Jillian Schwedler.
- Obama Seeks Reset in Arab World - NYTimes.com
How many resets will he seek?
- New Left Review - Perry Anderson: On the Concatenation in the Arab World
- Saleh clutching at straws | leloveluck
- Official Says Syria Has the Upper Hand Over Protests - NYTimes.com
So much bluster.
- Syrian regime likely to survive uprising: analysts
Let's hope not.
- Al-Ahram Weekly | Egypt | Counter-revolution and sectarian strife
Blames Mubarak's "army of thugs" for sectarianism - unconvincingly.
- Deutsche Bahn pulls out of TA-Jerusalem railroad - Haaretz
Another BDS success.
- FT.com - Subsidies give Saudis an appetite for oil
Wow - $20bn spent on subsidizing water per year.
- FT.com - Brotherhood member stands for president
Abdel Monem Aboul Fotouh's ego gets ahead of him.
- FT.com - Sawiris warns of Islamist violence in Egypt
- Egypt turmoil helping arms smuggling to Gaza-Israel - Yahoo! News
Entirely based on Shin Bet allegations.
- Rise of Salafism in political sphere is muffled by media - The National
I think this is too alarmist.
- A revolutionary growth market in Egypt - FT Tilt
Weird - boost in tuk-tuk sales after revolution.
- Egypt’s activists turn tables on tormentors - The Washington Post
Hossam's Piggipedia work highlighted.
- BBC News - Analysis: Egypt suffers post-revolution blues
- What Will a Post Assad Syria Look Like?
"It is hard to see any soft landing for the regime or the people"
- Bin Laden's successor to face financing crisis – Think Tank
- Obi-Wan Kenobi Is Dead, Vader Says - Galactic Empire Times
- The What Cooperation Council? | Marc Lynch
Counter-revolutionary Cooperation Council that's what.
- Comment le gouvernement endoctrine « NoMemorySpace
Slim Amamou on being a minister and his faith in the transition.
- The warning bells are ringing | Al-Masry Al-Youm
Good column by Hassan Nafae.
- Wendell Steavenson: Violence in Cairo and Beyond : The New Yorker
On recent troubles.
- Is Asma Assad in London? - Telegraph
wife of syrian dictator bashar al-assad may have fled to london: #mar15 (via @SyrianFront)