Links 1-3 September 2011
- Polisario after Gaddafi: The Price of Patronage | Al Akhbar English
- How Libya Seems to Have Helped the CIA with Rendition of Terrorism Suspects - TIME
Nice piece by Abigail Hauslohner here.
- Escaping Mumana'a and the US-Saudi Counter-Revolution: Syria, Yemen, and Visions of Democracy (Interview with Fawwaz Traboulsi)
By Ahmed Shokr and Anjali Kamat.
- The CIA’s Islamist Cover Up by Ian Johnson | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books
Johnson once again paints Islamists with a broad stroke.
- Tony Blair has major, unheralded role in Mideast talks
In trying to avert UNGA recognition of Palestine
- Files Note Close C.I.A. Ties to Qaddafi Spy Unit
- Yemen and the spin doctors | Brian Whitaker's blog
Bell Pottinger as always.
- Tribunal Concealed Evidence Al-Qaeda Cell Killed Hariri - IPS
Gareth Porter says.
- Senior Bush diplomat 'advised Gaddafi regime to the end' - Telegraph
OH, David Welch…
- How not to prolong the Syrian agony - International Crisis Group
- "friday-lunch-club": "The Assad regime is at the top of the suspect list," in terms of who tried to kill Jeffrey Feltman"
- The failed secretary - September 2011 - Armed Forces Journal
On Robert Gates and civil-military relations.
- What to do about Al-Jazeera? - Le Monde diplomatique - English edition
On Jazeera and Qatar's foreign policy.
- An Idea for Inexpensive Electricity: Concentrated Solar Power 12 Miles above the Earth
- AP Interview: Moussa says he warned Mubarak; predicts Assad fall in Syria, spread of democracy - The Washington Post
What a liar.
- Egypt’s Israel Problem by Yasmine El Rashidi | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books
- A Lifetime of Resistance in Syria | The Nation
Profile of Syrian activist Haitham al-Maleh.
- Al-Jama’a al-Islamiya: The battle within | Al-Masry Al-Youm
Good insights into the group.
- gulfnews : Egyptians don't want to migrate after revolution
Good for them.
- Ramadan talk show questions Salafi dogmas | Al-Masry Al-Youm: Today's News from Egypt
About Ahmed Abu Haiba.
- Assad Regime in Syria Crucial to Iran - Carnegie
- Full: Where the Wild Frontiers Are: America comes up short in South Asia - The National
Review of book by Chapati Mystery author.
- .:Middle East Online::Remaking the Arab State:.
- The September Journey part 1: Why I’m heading off
Yuval Ben-Ami of +972 goes on an Israeli-Palestinian road trip.
- ‘International community’ lines up for Libyan energy contracts - Thenews.pl
Even the Poles.
- The race is on for Libya's oil, with Britain and France both staking a claim
What it was always about for Sarko and Dave.
- What Can Israel Do About Tensions With Post-Mubarak Egypt? - Steven A. Cook
Get ahead of the game by taking lead on revising Camp David, says Cook.
- Gaddafi called Algerian president -media report | Reuters
- Torture in Bahrain Becomes Routine With Help From Nokia Siemens - Bloomberg
And then some additional links all about Islamists and ex-jihadists's role in Libya:
- Ex-Jihadists in the New Libya - By Omar Ashour | The Middle East Channel
- Libya: Expel the Salafis! Asharq Alawsat Newspaper (English)
- As Qaddafi Forces Retreat, a Newly Freed Imam Encourages Forgiveness - NYTimes.com
- M of A - Abdelhakim Belhadj And Saif al-Islam Gaddhafi
- Libye : Al-Qaida derrière la victoire de Tripoli ? - LeMonde.fr