Links 25-28 January 2012
These links are put out on Twitter first and collated here every few days.
- Art in Saudi Arabia: The picture is changing | The Economist
- Egypt's Military Custodianship - Carnegie Middle East Center
- AP: Islamists, protesters scuffle at at Egypt rally
On yesterday's tiff in Tahrir.
- Conference on Arab Uprisings, March 27 | uconnpolisci
I'll be speaking there.
- The Sleeping Salafi - By Marc Lynch | The Middle East Channel
- Tawfik Okasha and the amazingly appalling atrociousness of the fellahin - Ahram
Contains phrase "an astounding capacity to defecate from the mouth."
- Béji: "We are all Tunisian Jews" | Informed Comment
- Why We Have a Responsibility to Protect Syria - Shadi Hamid - The Atlantic
Another voice for intervention.
- Dennis Ross still advising Obama on regular basis, despite stepping down - Haaretz
More appropriate that he play messenger outside admin, and sheds light on his real role when inside.
- Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood in contact with ex-ruling party officials - Ahram
- UN calls on Israel to end West Bank demolitions
- The GOP Brotherhood of Egypt - Egypt - Salon.com
On MB's econ policy.
- Egypt's sexual counterrevolution - Egypt - Salon.com
- Egypt Bars Sam LaHood From Leaving - NYTimes.com
- The downside of unbridled support for Israel - Haaretz
- Top US human rights official urges Egypt to lift Emergency Law | Al-Masry Al-Youm
- Aid group quits Libyan prisons over torture - CBS News
- Egypt’s Revolutionary Narrative Breaks Down - Lauren E. Bohn | Foreign Policy
- Books in Arabic: Revolution between hard covers | The Economist
- Syria’s crisis: It looks like civil war | The Economist
- Libya’s recovery: Better than it sounds | The Economist
- How Hayek helped us to find capitalism’s flaws - FT.com
By Occupy London.
- Media Turn Caustic as Syria Clashes With Gulf States: Noe& Raad - Bloomberg
From the Syrian state media.
- Egypt's foreign policy a year after the revolution - Ahram
Still run by the mukhabarat.
- Obama set to speed aid to Egypt, official says | Al-Masry Al-Youm
RT @glcarlstrom: Reuters: Obama administration plans to accelerate aid to Egypt by shifting money from other countries.
- Guest Post: Something's Fishy in Tripoli | ZeroHedge
On the competition between US and EU oil majors
- The myth of “isolated” Iran - Le Monde diplomatique
- Egyptians urge civilian rule a year on from revolt - FT.com
A lot on MB here.
- Egypt's January 25 Redux
Good collection of links from FP.
- “Il ne se passera rien en Egypte, les Egyptiens ne sont pas comme les Tunisiens”
Reflections on #jan 25 by Ibn Kafka.
- ‘UAE7’ launch legal action against government
Islamist dissidents who were stripped of nationality (not to be confused with UAE5, who were bloggers)
- Baltasar Garzon «ne sera plus jamais juge en Espagne»
There goes the judge who might have prosecuted George W. Bush.
- Hours after his release, blogger Maikel Nabil lambasts military ruler Tantawi - Ahram
Recently released anti-military activist @maikelnabil releases video statement rejecting SCAF's pardon.