Links 11-14 October 2012
I apologize for the crappy Google Ads these days.
- Papal candidates announced, high-ranking Coptic figures excluded | Egypt Independent
- Tunisia ruling coalition agrees to hold elections next June | Egypt Independent
- David Ignatius: Rural Egypt is waiting for results of revolution - The Washington Post
Factual mistake about Mb slogan aside, a good column.
- Egypt: Morsi Says Not to Present Constitution to Public Unless All Sides Approve It
- Egypt's opposition drifts aimlessly in a sea of contradictions - The National
- Shifting the Paradigm in Syria - By Mona Yacoubian | The Middle East Channel
- Syria and the moral decline of the American Left - Opinion - Al Jazeera English
Major scandal in Tunisia.
- Combing the desert: Sinai's security myth | Egypt Independent
- 11 Leaders of Syria's Creative Blogosphere
- The end of a thousand myths | Inanities
Sarah Carr on Maspero.
- El-Erian and El-Katatni final contenders for FJP leadership - Ahram Online
I back Katatni - interesting that there is a fight here.
- Egypt's draft constitution
(not certain this is the last draft)
- Denial no longer an option in Egypt - FT.com
Angus Blair, on Egypt's ostrich game with the economy.
- Riyadh taps its female workforce - FT.com
What a backwards place.
- Jordan’s king appoints reformist as PM - FT.com
Headline you see every other day in Jordan.
- Libya: Armed and dangerous - FT.com
Long piece on militias and spread of weapons.
- Le Figaro - Syrie: la révolte éclatée face au régime
Claims Saudi-Qatari rivalry fueling jihadists in Syria, at expense of others.
- Le Figaro - Syrie: les combattants islamistes progressent
Estimated 2000 jihadists in northern Syria.
- Rift with Moscow Deepens After Turkey Forces Syrian Jet to Land - NYTimes.com
- What if there's real change in the Middle East? | Stephen M. Walt
Not just new governments, but new borders?
- Qatar Ambassador Says French Investments Just 'Business' - Al-Monitor
As if anything is "just business"
- French Cluster Munitions in Libya, and a Call for Help - NYTimes.com
Great post, about nasty civilian-killing weapon leftover.