Links 1-4 October 2012
I need to dump these more often. Will have another links dump tonight at this rate.
- US court orders Iran, others to pay $6 billion for 9/11
- Can Riots Be Predicted? Experts Watch Food Prices : The Salt : NPR
- Two Minors Placed in Juvenile Detention as Blasphemy Cases Increase in Egypt | Atlantic Council
- INTERVIEW-Islamist governor shakes up Egypt province | Reuters
Profile of Kafr al-Sheikh governor Saad al-Husseini
- $450M in the Balance and Egypt Without a Lobbyist - Influence Alley
- Campaign group accuses Hamas of abuses - FT.com
- Egypt Struggles to Pay Oil Bill - NYTimes.com
$6-7bn owed to IOCs.
- Constituent Assembly opponents to draft alternative constitution | Egypt Independent
This is a bit late, isn't it.
- Turkey bombs targets in Syria | The Raw Story
- Morsy to visit Rafah's Coptic residents Friday | Egypt Independent
Good - but he should tell his party to stop minimizing the issue.
- Egypt’s Constitutional Racers Stagger Toward the Final Lap - By Nathan J. Brown
Hope springs eternal.
- Who is arming Sudan? « LRB blog
On Nuba mountains conflict.
- Abu Dhabi’s Most Expensive PR Project: Masdar City « REBEL ECONOMY
- Popular Arab cinema on show - Brian Whitaker's blog
- Le Figaro - Günter Grass le provocateur récidive contre Israël
- Syrian State TV Lashes Out at Hamas Leader - NYT
- Iran Engaged in ‘Severe Clampdown’ on Critics, U.N. Says - NYT
- Qassim Suleimani, Iran’s Master of Iraq Chaos, Still Vexes the U.S. - NYT
Does the head of the CIA get called "Master of Chaos"?
- Anatomy of a massacre that bodes ill for Syria's future - The National
- Egypt doctors strike for better wages, services
- Egypt Salafis Lured as IMF Aid Beats AA Debt: Islamic Finance - Bloomberg
- Analysts Say Video of American Held in Syria May Have Been Staged - NYTimes.com
On Austin Tice.
- A Trans-Atlantic Trip Turns Kafkaesque - NYTimes.com
A good piece in the declinist genre - and it's true AA sucks.
- Bringing BDS to Egypt | SocialistWorker.org
- Mitt Romney: A New Course for the Middle East - WSJ.com
The return of PNAC.
- Eric Hobsbawm dies, aged 95 | Books | guardian.co.uk
- Liberal, secular 'infidels' must be prosecuted, says Brotherhood preacher | Egypt Independent
He's being sued by ElBaradei now.
- Indebted and overstaffed, how can state-owned papers survive? | Egypt Independent
- Egypt not mulling Arab intervention in Syria: Morsi spokesman - Ahram Online
- Israeli paper: Morsy willing to meet Israeli president after US election | Egypt Independent
- Sudan and South Sudan: Deal or half a deal? | The Economist
A deal between the presidents of Sudan and South Sudan removes the prospect of an all-out war between the countries
- Political forces sign on ElBaradei call for Constituent Assembly boycott - Ahram Online
Principled or brinksmanship?
- Moderates and Liberals Double-down on the Constitution | Atlantic Council
I share the pessimism.
- Sinai tribes demand representation in constitution | Egypt Independent
Representation, yes, but their own judicial system?
- Syrian president’s sister in UAE - FT.com
So the reports were right.
- Presidential adviser: Egypt ready for conditional Arab intervention in Syria | Egypt Independent
Distinction btw. "Arab" and "foreign" intervention.
- Who are Tunisia’s Salafis?
I know this one - is it "fundie bastards?"