Links 24-27 November 2012
Making way for new ones...
- How Egypt’s Mursi Can Find the Path Back Toward Democracy: View - Bloomberg
Op-ed says he needs to back down.
- EMDP » About to be even bigger
Interview with Bassem Youssef.
- Islamists launch initiatives to defend Morsy | Egypt Independent
Significant that these initiatives involve changing his decree.
- The pitfalls and limitations of the Revolution Protection Law | Egypt Independent
An important part of this story.
- Brotherhood asked Armed Forces to protect headquarters | Egypt Independent
Because police is AWOL.
- Qatar seeks to supply 10% of Egypt’s gas - FT.com
- Obama should end his reticence on rights - FT.com
- Kurds Fight Islamist Rebels In Syria, Threaten Independence In Iraq « The Agonist
- Syria rebels cut off most roads to Aleppo - FRANCE 24
- Minister: No more than four Brotherhood members to be named to union boards
So he admits there will pol appointments when MB have never been strong in labor.
- Update: State Council says will hear challenges against Morsy's decree on 4 December
- Media shouldn't broadcast funerals of protest victims, says presidential adviser
- The 'Authoritarian' Declaration
Analysis of Morsi decree by a judge.
- البرنامج؟ - موسم ٢ - حلقة ١ - النهضة لاتزال في... - YouTube
Much needed coming relief @DrBassemYoussef 1st episode of new show
- Egypt ousted prosecutor general unravels Brotherhood ‘secrets’
What a circus.
- Europe’s Response to Morsi’s New Powers - Carnegie Europe
Call for strong response.
- Morsy issues law paving way for Brotherhood control of trade federation | Egypt Independent
- Egyptian state TV channels abruptly cease transmission -Ahram Online
Someone has to explain this.
- Stephen Glain on US Militarism | FiveBooks | The Browser
- ‘Brotherhood tried to tarnish Kuwait govt’s image’
Lengthy Arab Times interview with Dubai chief of police. NB comments on demographics, Brotherhood, foreign conspiracy.
- The President and the fatal trilateral logic of US, Egyptian and Israeli relations | openDemocracy
- Using War as Cover to Target Journalists - NYTimes.com
NYT's David Carr on Israel's deliberate assassination of journalists:
- BREAKING: Muslim Brotherhood member killed in Damanhour clashes - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online
- Morsi's Mixed Moves | Marc Lynch
Abu Aardvark weighs in.
- Morsi power grab a huge blow for Egypt's revolution and his own reputation
Say EU liberals
- Egyptian judges revolt against Morsy's edict sidelining nation's judiciary | TribLIVE
- Banipal (Issue 40)
Issue 40 (Spring 2011) of @BanipalMagazine, on Libyan fiction
- Le Figaro: Le plan Brahimi pour pacifier la Syrie
Brahimi wanted to get Morsi to put pressure on Syrian MB. Wonder if he still does.
- Morsi Urged to Retract Edict to Bypass Judges in Egypt - NYTimes.com
- Egypt judges call for nationwide strike - Al Jazeera English
- Egypt: Going up in flames | The Economist
A broad overview of the situation and analysis I concur with — Morsi overeached, situation is dangerous.
- Seven Takeaways From The Gaza Ceasefire - The Daily Beast
- Morcos: Morsy's constitutional declaration hinders democratic transition | Egypt Independent
Says advisor on democratic transition.