Links 29-31 January 2012
- THE DAILY STAR :: Egypt revolution’s broken promises
Review of new documentary on Tahrir.
- 2012: The year of the Bibi | Mondoweiss
- Full: Deep in the Sinai, a looming crisis threatens Egypt-Israel peace treaty - The National
I don't think it threatens the treaty as much as it threatens Egypt's stability and economic recovery.
- Embracing Tunisia at the 2012 Cairo Book Fair | Arabic Literature (in English)
- Ghost of Judith Miller returns to the NY Times | Sean Rocha
- Egypt army fires general to boost image
- Support grows for Syrian peace plan - FT.com
- Egypt's outrage: Egypt's attack on pro-democracy groups - chicagotribune.com
Editorial says Egypt must choose aid or NGOs.
- Israel proposes West Bank barrier as border - Boston.com
- What do Egypt's generals want? – Global Public Square
- Egypt’s New Flash Point: Bedouins Take Over a Sinai Resort - The Daily Beast
- Mabrouk, ya Masr?
Maria Golia calls for less self-congratulations and more self-examination.
- Egypt's Military Considers Speeding Up Transition : NPR
- Saudi Arabia: Christians Arrested at Private Prayer | HRW
Funny how WINEP isn't scared about these fundies.
- Shaykh Hamdī of Maghāghah, A Salafi Candidate with Coptic Support | Arab West Report
- gary's choices - Will Israel Really Attack Iran?
No, but the NYT wants you to think so as part of Israeli agit-prop.
- Yemeni Protesters Demand Air Force Chief's Ouster - WSJ.com
He's Saleh's half-brother.
- Libya undecided on future of African investments | Guardian
- Profile: The Revolutionary Socialists, toward dismantling the state? | Al-Masry Al-Youm
They reject parliamentary politics, want "workers' councils" in a country that is over 50% services.
- Religion and Politics in Bahrain: How the Failure of Gulf Air Explains the Failure of Bahrain
- The 100 Most Influential Arabs on Twitter | Wamda.com
- Egyptian Chronicles: #Jan25 : The Police officer we want
- Syria’s uprising: Hold your horses | The Economist
Sound argument against intervention
- Mubarak show trial is heading for farce - The National
This trial is an embarassment for the entire Egyptian legal establishment.
- Tantawi urges Egyptians to ignore 'rumours' of military violations
- Yemen: Republican Guard mutiny crushed
- Saudi Arabia- Activists file complaint against Government's decision to reject their application to register a non-governmental foundation
- Syrian army in offensive near Damascus
- How do states act after they get nuclear weapons?
Relevant for Iran.