Links 20-21 February 2012
God, everything coming from Syria is so awful...
- The Syrian Impasse | Immanuel Wallerstein
- Brian Whitaker's blog, 'Spontaneous demonstrations' are expensive
- Stop TGV
Against wasteful Moroccan high-speed train project.
- Pressure Not War: A Pragmatic and Principled Policy Towards Syria | Center for a New American Security
By Marc Lynch.
- Saudis "exclude unreliable Qatar" from GCC secret talks on Hezbollah weapons
- Syria's rebels are not an al-Qaeda army – Telegraph Blogs
Richard Spencer debunking claims that Syrian rebels are Qaeda.
- A defector's tale: How a Syrian soldier turned rebel - CSMonitor.com
- Surveilling Muslim Groups Is Necessary to Protect Free Press, Bloomberg Tells Reporters - New York News - Runnin' Scared
- 130 Doctors Without Borders staff disappear in Sudan - World Watch - CBS News
- Egypt's Artists Fear Censorship by Islamists - The Daily Beast
- Peaceful Protest Can Free Palestine - NYTimes.com
Mustafa Barghouti on Khader Adnan.
- Jordanian NGOs Lead the Fight for Migrant Workers’ Rights - IPS
- Egypt court rules parliament vote system unconstitutional
What a mess.
- ElBaradei: Egypt suffers from constitutional, political and legal tampering | Egypt Independent
Calls for overhaul of transition - he's right.
- Silence as Bahraini children are stabbed and gassed | PINKtank
- Khader Adnan: The West Bank's Bobby Sands - The Independent
- Mujtahidd: A Tweeting Thorn in the Side of Al Saud | Al Akhbar English
- Grand Mufti calls for internet dialogue - The National
On Kashgari: "We don't kill our sons, we talk to them."
- Crisis management, Egyptian style
Perpetual crisis, no management.
- Brotherhood's party postpones announcing their presidential candidate till April - Ahram Online
Probably can't agree on one.
- No need to 'purge' senior police officers: Interior minister - Ahram Online
Oh well that's that then.
- Night Draws Near - By Anthony Shadid | Foreign Policy
Excerpt from his last book.
- Red Cross urges daily 2-hour halt in Syria clashes
Very detailed AP report suggests Syrian army about to enter Baba Amr.
- tabsir.net » Anthony Shadid: An American Story
Interesting history here.
- Cairobserver — A financial citadel
Did not about this new eyesore.
- Le 20 février, une année plus tard « Ibn Kafka's obiter dicta
- 7 officers suspended for growing beards
- Experts Say Iran Attack Is Irrational, Yet Hawks Are Winning the Debate - The Daily Beast
- (الإدارية العليا) تدق أول مسمار فى نعش شرعية البرلمان - بوابة الشروق
Egypt's parliament is unconstitutional - again.
- Morocco's Resilient Protest Movement - By Adria Lawrence | The Middle East Channel
- In Egypt, the police force is up for grabs | GlobalPost
- A Dangerous Declaration | The National Interest Blog
Paul Pillar on US Senate Iran warmongering.
- Egyptian Parliament Calls for Vision on Relationship With Iran in Light of Syrian Revolution Stance - Ikhwanweb
Most anti-Iran statement from MB in years.
- [toread] Video - Democracy Derailed - How Egypt's Revolution Unraveled - WSJ.com
Short WSJ documentary on Egypt - Democracy Derailed - Egypt's Unraveled Revolution
- Sudan mourns musical legend Mohamed Wardi - Sudan Tribune
- Inside the torture chamber of Assad's inquisition squads - The Independent