Links 1-6 February 2012
- جريدة الرياض : ضاحي خلفان ل «الرياض»: الإخوان أكثر خطراً من إيران .. والولايات المتحدة حققت أهداف طهران في المنطقة
Dubai Police Chief: The Muslim Brotherhood hate Gulf rulers, seek authority, more dangerous than Iran Arabic
- The UN Fails Syria | Marc Lynch
New post from @abuaardvark on next steps in #Syria. A lot of food for thought here:
- Arab Spring, Islam's Summer: The next fight in Egypt and Tunisia will be among the Islamists | Chatham House
- The ultras' politics of fun confront tyranny | Egypt Independent
"In fact, the chaos of the ultras, Egypt’s hardcore football fans, may play the role of waking up Egypt’s middle class, which continues to adhere to the myth of stability."
- Understanding the rise of Tunisia's Islamists | Egypt Independent
- Egyptian mothers march to parliament to demand end of violence - Ahram
- Sunday’s papers: Port Said massacre the last straw for many | Egypt Independent
Good overview, some testy commentary.
- Egypt council wants earlier presidential vote | Reuters
I think this forces FJP's hands against SCAF.
- The Spy who runs Egypt?
Profile of Murad Muwafi - great stuff by Magdi Samaan.
- The #Ultras Anger that we do not understand
Sandmonkey on the football riots.
- State TV: Gunmen free prisoners, set fire to police station in Cairo | Egypt Independent
- America in Afghanistan: Outta here | The Economist
Mission acc… er, what was the mission?
- 200 killed in government assault on city of Homs in Syria - The Washington Post
Single deadliest day.
- Are Syrian Spies Operating on U.S. Soil? | PBS
No, more like rat informants.
- Tunis flaunts its charms to attract business - FT.com
They deserve the investment, those Tunisians!
- Gulf rulers must rely on constitutional power - FT.com
Interesting piece on the multiple ethnicities in the Gulf mini-states.
- From the Potomac to the Euphrates » Not Re-aShura-ing
Cook reminds us of Shura elections - just put the thing out of its misery.
- Strikes: The common denominator
Shedding a little light on the chaos.
- An Overview of Special Operations Forces, and More from CRS
- Ennahdha’s real vulnerability – they’re amateurs « A 21st Century Social Contract
- IDS Bulletin - Volume 43, Issue 1 - The Pulse of Egypt's Revolt
Tons of articles on Egypt to download for free.
- Islam and homosexuality: Straight but narrow | The Economist
Gets one thing wrong: internet does not make things safe for gays, in Egypt entrapment used.
- Arab spring economies: Unfinished business | The Economist
Long pieces on post-uprising economies.
- Syria and the UN: Libya bitten, Syria shy | The Economist
On R2P and interventionism.
- The Iraq war-- What did AIPAC do and when did it do it?
And why is CAP helping in the cover-up?
- Maghreb Islamists and Israel: Worrisome Signs | Al Akhbar English
What a stupid idea, this thing about Israel in the Tunisian constitution.
- Egypt football violence spills over into clashes | The Guardian
- The Generals try to stop an Iran War | Informed Comment
- Israel warns Tehran soon immune to attack - FT.com
"nuclearised Iran will be far more complex, dangerous and costly"
- The Neo-Rentier Economy | Best of the Moment | The Browser
The Neo-Rentier Economy: Short, punchy speech excerpt from economist Michael Hudson - great read on capitalism
- Tribalism in the Arabian Peninsula: It's A Family Affair
Sultan Qassemi's article in @Jadaliyya: Tribalism in the Arabian Peninsula: It's a Family Affair Repost.
- The Arab World's Education Report Card: School Climate and Citizenship Skills - Carnegie
- The View From The Gulf: America’s Quiet Go-between Speaks | Fox News
Judith Miller interview Sultan Qaboos.
- King of Morocco to be biggest benefactor of EU trade agreement - Telegraph
This is why the king can't be in business.
- Egyptian Chronicles: #EgyParliament : The Parliamentary committees
- Le rap ikhwangi, une modernité « à l’authentique » ? (rap et révolution, 3/3) | Culture et politique arabes
Nice analysis of the scholarship on Arab rap as protest music, and Islamist rap.
- Tunisia Navigates a Democratic Path Tinged With Religion - NYTimes.com