Links March 19-21 2012
A mixed bag of tricks.
- Jadaliyya Launches Maghreb Page
- PA committee agrees to annul article 6 of military judicial law - DNE
re: referring civs to mil court.
- STRATEGIC BREADTH AND DEPTH: AN ONLINE SYMPOSIUM ON TURKISH FOREIGN POLICY
- The violent struggle for power in Syria
Report by German think-tank SWP. [PDF]
- Midnight for the SCAF's Cinderella Story - By Nathan J. Brown
- Open Letter to the Leaders of the Syrian Opposition | Human Rights Watch
- Maikel Nabil Sanad: The Message From Egypt's Generals - WSJ.com
I really dislike this pandering.
- Syrian Kurdish Cards | MERIP
Kurds and the uprising.
- Concerns mount over missing Turkish journalists in Syria
- Un coup de jeune pour l’arabe : la langue métissée de l’internet
- Water deficit may cost Egypt $11 bln annually: World Bank
- Nour Party spokesperson: Minute of silence not mentioned in Islam | Egypt Independent
- US economic model broken, says survey - FT.com
"Fairness was the biggest perceived flaw in the economic model"
- Saudi Arabia moves to calm oil market - FT.com
Got Obama's back, keeping Iran unhappy.
- Sonallah Ibrahim on Writing about Sex & How He Constructs Novels | Arabic Literature (in English)
- State Dept. Seeks Firing of Peter Van Buren, Whistleblower Who Exposed Wasteful Iraq Projects by Democracy Now! on SoundCloud
- The Syrian Regime's Business Backbone | Middle East Research and Information Project
- When dictators tweet - Salon.com
- A Family Under Siege: The Khawajas in Bahrain
- Women's movement: A stop at Egypt's socialist era | Egypt Independent
- Arab Reform Initiative: Mubarak (1990-2011): The State of Corruption
- The scenario of Egypt’s consensus president | Egypt Independent
A cogently argued piece by Amr Abdulrahman.
- An Emerging Memorial Space? In Praise of Mohammed Mahmud Street
Mona Abaza on graffiti in Downtown Cairo.
- Neil Hicks: Don't Return to Business as Usual in Egypt: Link Foreign Aid to Democratic Progress in Egypt
As much as I hate to link to HuffPo.
- New visa introduced for Arab Spring nationals - The Independent
More visa bureaucracy, just for transiting!
- Egypt, Hamas spar over Gaza electricity crisis - JPost
Interesting story, but this site is the worst design-wise.
- Deactivating Egypt's land mines through nitrogen-hungry plants | Egypt Independent
- Egypt's military struggles with Sinai, its white elephant | Egypt Independent
- Abul Fotouh: A Revolution’s Choice of Last Resort? | Al Akhbar English
Abul Fotouh: A Revolution’s Choice of Last Resort? - interesting read by @Linaattalah #Egypt