Links April 20-23 2012
Anyone know who this belligerent joker is? His poster is all over Abdel Moneim Riyad Sq. Is he threatening to punch in the face anyone who insults Egypt or what?
- In Egypt, Morsi Escalates Battle Over Islam’s Role - NYTimes.com
Morsi and the MB's past catches up with them.
- Algeria ruling party mutiny reflects race for power | Reuters
- Sen. Paul Issues Letter to President Obama on Ending Foreign Aid to Egypt
- Egypt terminates deal to supply Israel with natural gas
Lisa Goldman, for +972, with more details on the Israeli side.
- Atatürk font becomes sensation in Turkey - Your Middle East
- Why Do They Hate Us? - By Mona Eltahawy | Foreign Policy
- Four Steps to Save The Egyptian Revolution - Al-Monitor
Alaa al-Aswani on need for secularist-Islamist reconciliation.
- Analysis: The multiple sins of the Brothers | Egypt Independent
- Bahrain's Epic Fail | Marc Lynch
- Away from unrest, Bahrain Grand Prix plays to empty stands | Reuters
- Presidential hopeful Shafiq faces multiple graft charges - Ahram
Quite a list.
- Military discusses popular vote to elect constituent assembly - Ahram
Just change the rules in midstream.
- Egypt's Moussa promises army voice in key policy body
So that's what he discussing with Tantawy two days ago.
- Update: ElBaradei's new party names itself 'Constitution' | Egypt Independent
- Morocco govt riven by debate over media guidelines - Boston.com
PJD govt. wants more religious media.
- The "flytilla": How much should airlines co-operate with governments? | The Economist
On Israel asking airlines to ban passengers.
- Tunisia sees tourists return after revolt | Reuters
Everyone should go...
- On campaign trail, Moussa speaks villagers' language | Egypt Independent
- Saudi rights campaigner given 4 yrs' jail: activists | Reuters
- Egypt Enters Sudan-South Sudan Conflict | Sahel Blog
- The Turbulent World of Middle East Soccer: Middle Eastern buying spree changes European soccer landscape
Soon, the "Eurabia Cup"?
- American Muslim Alleges FBI Had a Hand in His Torture (Updated with Video) | Mother Jones
- Palestinian Prisoners’ Day: Hundreds join hunger strike
3500 go on hunger strike with Khader Adnan.
- Syrian Refugees in Lebanon | Fair Observer°
- A tire fire so big it can be seen from space | Grist
5m tires burning in Kuwait.
- Kuwait's Muslim Brotherhood
- Preventing Full-Scale War between Sudan and South Sudan - International Crisis Group
- Via The Rabbi: REMEMBER WHEN TALMIDEI CHACHAMIM WORKED FOR A LIVING?
A great post on the haredim in Israel
- Constituent assembly membership saga continues - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online
- Beinart Unbowed - The Dish
"The NYT Jonathan Rosen review of The Crisis of Zionism attained a kind of Platonic ideal of the response of the American Jewish Establishment."
- Freedom Funnies: 'The Angel of Dialogue, the Gift of Censorship, and the Power of Boycott'