Links 27-30 September 2012
The current memes, sundry disinformation, and hidden pearls of truth:
- Netanyahu Feeling Like Trip To US To Start World War III Went Pretty Well | The Onion
- Egypt's most senior military commander promises army overhaul - AlertNet
- Who needs reform most: Egypt or America? - baltimoresun.com
Cal Thomas appears to think Morsi is president of the Islamic world. Idiot.
- White House Move to Give Egypt $450 Million in Aid Meets Resistance - NYTimes.com
- As Sinai border heats up, Egypt buries its head in the sand - Israel News | Haaretz
- Egyptian liberals threaten to quit constitution-drafting body - chicagotribune.com
- Fire Sweeps Through Aleppo’s 17th-Century Souk
One of my favorite places in the world.
- State Department’s new Middle East fund falls victim to Capitol Hill dysfunction | The Cable
- Egypt and Gaza: A honeymoon that wasn’t | The Economist
- 5 Reasons to Intervene in Syria Now - NYTimes.com
Just look at the authors - remember how their ideas worked out in Iraq?
- BBC News - Syria ex-detainees allege ordeals of rape and sex abuse
- Assault on US embassy in Libya was a planned terrorist attack, says Panetta - Your Middle East
And not spontaneous protest-related murder.
- The Brotherhood, its fateful choices and safe exits - Ahram Online
Hani Shukrallah - engaging in wishful thinking?
- Morsi takes Manhattan, but Washington's another story
- What the Salafis Want
- Saving Egyptian Film Classics - YouTube
Corny but worthwhile.
- #27 Diaspora | Bidoun Projects
The new Bidoun is out. I have a review of Bernard Lewis' memoirs in it.
- Should America worry about Morsy? - CNN.com
- SYRIA: Towards governance in rebel-held areas
- Morsi speech in translation at UNGA
- English text of El-Tibi's resignation letter to Egypt's Constituent Assembly - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online
- The past, present, and (possible) future of Egypt’s Culture Ministry - Your Middle East
- Syria civil war: 'We expend the one thing we have, men. Men are dying'
More Ghaith Abul Ahad in the Guardian.
- Syria's civil war: how saying the wrong thing can get you tortured
Ghaith Abul Ahad has been doing crazy good reporting