Links 6-12 January 2013
Above, a recent performance by an Umm Kulthoum hologram in front of a live audience. Quite remarkable. I'd go if they did this with the historical concerts.
- Misreading the resilience of Gulf monarchies | GulfNews.com
A critique of Christopher Davidson's thesis.
- AFP: EU 'to propose' peace plan after Israel vote
Holding my breath.
- New Tables, Charts: Sellal Cabinet c. 2012 | The Moor Next Door
- The myth of the Islamist winter
Olivier Roy's art on Myth of Islamist Winter in #Egypt and #Tunisia
- Morsy appoints new Central Bank governor | Egypt Independent
Seven in "Greater Middle East."
- Egypt: The crisis of government isn’t over | The Economist
- Libya’s Muslim Brothers: The knack of organisation | The Economist
- The 'Brotherhoodization' of Egypt and its unions (+video) - CSMonitor.com
Dan Murphy riffs on my post.
- Syria on Video « LRB blog
- This could be the birth of an independent Kurdish state | David Hirst | The Guardian
- Le Figaro : Un café « halal » séduit la jeunesse du Caire
Segregated coffee shop in Nasr City
- Presidency files complaint against Press Syndicate board member - Daily News Egypt
- ولم أزل على قيد الحياة - I'm Still Alive + English subtitle - YouTube
Very strong, beautiful & hard #Syria short film, deserves your full attention!(Eng. trans)
- Insights from antiquity: Oman and the art of water pricing
- The Future of Civil Society in Egypt | Middle East Voices
- IMF wants pound value to drop against US dollar, says official | Egypt Independent
A performing Oum Kalthoum hologram in Egypt is causing me both joy and a near emotional breakdown
- E EVil - Mosh Hat7kmona _ مش هتحكمونا - YouTube
RT @Foulyism: An Underground Egyptian rapper against Muslim Brotherhood YouTube
- Analysis: Egypt's currency crisis hinges on household dollars | Reuters
Good stuff here.
- Qatar says boosting aid to Egypt by extra $2.5 bln | Reuters
Qatar says boosting aid to Egypt by extra $2.5 bln Reuters "deposits double to around $4 billion"
- La deuxième révolte de Sidi Bouzid | Slate Afrique
'La deuxième révolte de Sidi Bouzid' immaginée par l'écrivain Tarek Ben Brik #Tunisie #Sidibouzid via @slateafrique
- Are the Arab monarchies next? - Le Monde diplomatique
By Moulay Hicham.
- Crooked Sticks, Crooked Shades: A Critique « Dekhnstan
Rare post on Mauritania.
- Political Parties Affairs Committee approves new Shafiq party | Egypt Independent
This might be the one to watch for the elections.
- Egyptian Aak: Episode One | Nervana
An interesting weekly overview of Egyptian politics by @nervana
- Egypt Tries to Resolve Tensions Between Muslim Brotherhood and U.A.E. - NYTimes.com
- Morsi faces diplomatic test over UAE arrests - The National
- Morocco’s Engagement with the Sahel Community
- Jailed Moroccan rapper awarded ‘integrity’ prize