Links 1-5 January 2013
First links of the year, after a long period in December when I did not post any (well, aside from Twitter anyway — remember there's always more there.)
- BBC iPlayer - Afternoon Drama: The Reluctant Spy: Episode 1
Radio play set in backdrop of Egyptian uprising.
- Brotherhood may pay price for currency fall | Egypt Independent
Inflation is back.
- Jordanie. Comment Aman passe-t-il au travers des soulèvements dans le monde arabe ? - France Culture
- Boycott the Muslim Brotherhood - قاطعوا الإخوان المسلمين
Site calling for boycott of MB-affiliated businesses.
- Bored Japanese trucker gets kicks from Syria war tourism | THE DAILY STAR
- Islamists ‘ban’ smoking in Sinai | GulfNews.com
- Al-Azhar: Ministry-proposed bonds at odds with Sharia | Egypt Independent
Shooting down flagship MB proposal.
- Al-Jazeera to Buy Current TV - WSJ.com
- Salafi sheikh to abandon media, return to preaching | Egypt Independent
- Tunisie - L’ATTF réagit à l’affaire "Sheratongate" | Businessnews.com.tn
- UAE cracks down on group tied to Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood - World - DNA
Tunisia's draft constitution
An English Translation of #Tunisia's Draft Constitution via @cairowire and @Oritperlov
- [toread] Olivier Roy : "Dans le monde arabe, les gens n'ont plus peur" - Monde - La Vie
Olivier Roy : "Dans le monde arabe, les gens n'ont plus peur" - Monde - La Vie
- State bars Westerners living in West Bank from entering Israel, East Jerusalem - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper
State bars Westerners living in West Bank from entering #IsraeL, East Jerusalem (by Amira Hass)
- Sudanese Echoes | MERIP
Sudan's Islamist coup and Morsi's auto-coup.
- Blood ballots | Egypt Independent
A powerful must read by Adel Iskandar
- As Al Azhar is thrown to politics, extremists are the only winners - The National
- IMF welcomes Egypt's new currency regime - Economy - Business - Ahram Online
Call Me Cynical | Aktham Suliman's farewell to Al Jazeera
Germany correspondent decries bias.
- Egypt official: Israel will be wiped out in a decade
Essam al-Erian on a roll.
- Bassem Youssef, a Champion for Egypt’s Liberals - NYTimes.com
- Les Frères musulmans font taire Schéhérazade | Je ne pense qu'à ça
- Egyptians Pay Price For Tumultuous Year - Al-Monitor:
Bassem Sabry: "the country is on a horribly wrong track.
- The court’s last breath | Egypt Independent
For judiciary geeks, on the SCC
- 2013 Persephone Miel Fellowship: Call for Proposals | Pulitzer Center
Intl' reporting grant.
- MEI Editor's Blog: New Year's Eve, 1942/43: FDR's North African Inside Joke
You must remember this...
- Shabiha Militias and the Destruction of Syria | Combating Terrorism Center at West Point
- As Ahmadinejad's term ends, will he spoil Iran's election? - The National
Calls for his ouster.