Links 6-24 November 2013
- Veritas Egypt
Bernard Kouchner attending what appears to be a pro-coup conference.
The latest in pseudo-NGO astroturf
- Questions on Drone Strike Find Only Silence - NYTimes.com
- Floundering in a mire of its own creation, the Saudi government is incapable of reform
- Why Egypt’s Army Is Bad At Doing Business
- Qaradawi’s War for Egypt
By WINEP mufti David Schenker - good example of Lobby/Gulf shared interests.
- forced to walk through sewage | In Gaza
Life in the Strip keeps getting worse.
- Libya: Rule of the gun - FT.com
- Syria: On the Way to Genocide? by Charles Glass | The New York Review of Books
- Civil Society, Social Movements, and the Arab Uprisings of 2011 | Joel Beinin - Academia.edu
- The Rise and Fall of the Salafi al-Nour Party in Egypt
Too early to speak of a fall, methinks.
- How Is Hamid Karzai Still Standing? - NYTimes.com
- Arming Egypt - Le Monde diplomatique
On US-Egypt arms sales, and Russia.
- John Kerry Defies the White House on Egypt Policy
..and decides not to mention the Morsi trial or anything else awkward
- Close-Up on the Muslim Brotherhood's Grassroots Work
A documentary about the way the group forms its followers
- Why I Can No Longer Stand Egypt's Health Industry.
The cri du coeur of a young doctor
- Egyptian Chronicles: Bassem Youssef ends his contract with #CBC
Where are all the defenders of freedom of expression that rallied around Youssef when he clashed with the MB?
- So, how long have you been harassing women like this?
Radio journalist just goes ahead and interviews guy harassing her in Cairo
- «الطب الشرعي»: حصيلة قتلى رابعة 377 حالة بينها 11 تم «حرقها» بعد الوفاة - بوابة الشروق
Forensic Medical Authority says 377 killed in Rabaa, 726 total nationwide
- US blocks publication of Chilcot’s report on how Britain went to war with Iraq - UK Politics - UK - The Independent
Report details conversations between Blair and Bush in lead-up to war
- Organ Trade Thrives Among Desperate Syrian Refugees in Lebanon
- More arrests for homosexual conduct in Egypt
Part of the army's weird and expanding policing of public morals?
- Egypt’s secular parties hampered by disorganization, infighting - The Washington Post
- Observations on the identity amendments to the Egyptian constitution | openDemocracy
Nader Bakkar of the Nour Party.
- Putting Egypt’s Coup on Trial » CounterPunch
Interesting details on Morsi trial.
- Morocco’s Growing Cannabis Debate - By James Roslington and Jason Pack | The Middle East Channel
- The Brotherhood’s Bind - By Michael Wahid Hanna
Argues MB "lack the moral authority to sustain a broad-based movement of non-violent protest"
- Coup d’état versus révolution | SN
Bleak analysis of Egypt [Fr]
- That’s Blasphemy — The Nib — Medium
On cartoons and religious censorship in Egypt.
- In Libya, The Militias Rule While Government Founders
Leila Fadel reports on the near-anarchy in Libya
- Journalists in Syria face growing risk of kidnap
At least 30 journalists being held by armed groups
- Keeping Yemen's Lights On | The Majalla Magazine
Attacks on power grid leave Yemenis in the dark
- Will Yasser Arafat poisoning report derail Middle East peace talks?
Swiss report strongest evidence yet Palestinian leader was killed
- My 'casting-off the veil' story
An honest personal account, and a critique of the politicization of veiling
- Saudi police in Riyadh clash with migrant workers
Protests and deaths as new labour law is applied, forcing millions to leave
- The Army of Islamic State of Libya: Derna’s mystery militia | Libya Herald
Kind of funny interview.
- 'I saw Ettehadiya unfold': Q&A with former justice minister Ahmed Mekky
- Russian defense minister to visit Cairo next week
- Is Al-Qaeda a Threat to Moroccan Stability? - Sada
- Being Brotherhood | Mada Masr
Spouses of imprisoned MB.
- Round Two to Arafat | MERIP
Arafat killed by Polonium poisoning - who delivered it?
- Options for exporting Israeli gas - FT.com
- East Libya autonomy movement launches government, challenges Tripoli - World News