Links 18-23 February 2013
Check out this online radio station station for Mahragan music.
- Guest Post: Reserves or no reserves, that is the question, by Dr. Karim Abadir | blog Yaacoub
- Egyptian army's political redeployment
As much as I hate linking to a piece by former pro-Gamal hack Abdallah Kamal
Interior Minister to become PM - rather insultingly.
- The Lede: Video Game Inspired by Clashes in Egypt and Italy Allows Gamers to Fight the Police
- Can The Political Crisis In Egypt Actually Be Resolved? - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East
- Egypt State Information Service
FM Amr: #Egypt will not establish relations with any party at the expense of Gulf security
- Egypt’s Brotherhood state takes no partners | Fact Fiction
Egypt’s Brotherhood state takes no partners
- Is the Muslim Brotherhood seeking to kill Egypt's NGOs? - CSMonitor.com
- Jordan’s election: Calming down | The Economist
Seems to me the king played his cards well.
- Syria’s civil war: The country formerly known as Syria | The Economist
- Currency crisis hits Egypt’s wheat supply - FT.com
- Scenes from a Bahraini Burial | The Nation
- Tenure Denial Incites Backlash - The Hoya
Georgetown's paper on Samer Shehata.
- David Wearing: The Regime in Bahrain Needs to Drop the PR, and do its Homework
- Egypt Wants Its Business Tycoons to Return - Businessweek
- Ayman Nour 'ready to head the government if Morsi asks'
Hell, me too.
- April 6 movement enters Morsy in space trip contest
- Whatever Happened to Egypt’s “Popular Committees”?
- Egypt will join ICC but ensure that Sudan's Bashir is safe from arrest: official - Sudan Tribune
- The Bouazizi Effect in Morocco | MERIP
- Saudi Arabia and Qatar in a Time of Revolution | CSIS
Bernard Haykel's insights into Gulf rivalries and the Brotherhood.
- Egypt's SCAF holding meetings in president's absence: Military sources - Ahram Online
- تعذيب الأطفال - نهاية النظام تقترب - YouTube
Video on torture of children in Egypt.
- The Triple Threat to Egyptian Press Freedom - Thanassis Cambanis - The Atlantic
- A Palace Rift in Persian Gulf Bedevils Key U.S. Navy Base - WSJ.com
"The king is totally marginalized"...The king declined to comment: a deep look at Bahrain's rulers via @WSJ
- Egypt Food Manufacturer Closes Business After Workers Protest - Bloomberg
- BBC Nature - In pictures: Arabia's extraordinary wildlife
- Mali: Guerrilla Attacks and the Possibility of Pockets of Support for Islamists [Updated] | Sahel Blog
- Daughters And Wives Of Syrian Regime Turn To Prostitution In Turkey - All News Is Global |
- The Mysterious Disappearance of the Bust of Taha Hussein | Arabic Literature (in English)
- The harrowing story behind the World Press Photo of the year
- BBC News - Protest in West Bank for Palestinian hunger strikers
- Turkey: 'World's biggest prison' for media - Al Jazeera English
- Le Figaro : La France tente de rallier le Qatar à sa politique au Sahel
- Why Won't Egypt Open The Rafah Crossing With Gaza? - NYTimes.com
My piece on the tunnel question and Rafah.
- La Tunisie en crise se cherche un nouveau Premier ministre - Libération
Jebali return looks possible.
- Béatrice Hibou : Pourquoi l’économie tunisienne ne redémarre pas - TUNISIA Watch
- The Belly Dancing Barometer - NYT
Tom Friedman has this right: "no one in Egypt is having much fun these days."
- Resilient Damascus - Your Middle East
Ordinary life in Damascus.
- Egypt flooded tunnels to cut Gaza arms flow: aide
- Yemen’s Saleh opens museum - about himself
- The End of Foreign Policy - NYTimes.com
Devastating Roger Cohen piece on Vali Nasr's new book.
- Desacralization of Islamism - By Khalil al-Anani | The Middle East Channel
The ongoing conflict btw Ikhwan and Salafis (Nour Party) proves that the desacralization of Islamism is unavoidable.
- Maspero nearly LE20 bn in debt, says State TV official | Egypt Independent
That's nearly $3bn