Links 2-6 February 2013
I have a new piece out for The National on Egypt's crisis, looking at the failure of the political class.
- Assassination of Chokri Belaid sparks unrest across Tunisia
- AP Interview: Morocco Islamists Warn of Unrest - ABC News
Interview with Adl wal Ihsan political chief Arsalane
- Egypt pope criticizes constitution | News , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR
- Morsi's Guns | Foreign Affairs
On military backing for Morsi.
- OSI Report into extraorordinary rendition [PDF]
- Egypt: A twilight without a new dawn - Daily News Egypt
"The state has lost its monopoly over the use of “legitimate” violence."
- Egypt Conflict Alert - International Crisis Group
A note on the current crisis worth reading.
- Six Questions about Tigantourine « LRB blog
Hugh Roberts on the Algerian hostage crisis.
- Guest Post: Why We Don’t Support Egypt’s IMF loan | REBEL ECONOMY
Interview with Ahmad Shokr.
- Drugs: the new alternative economy of West Africa - Le Monde diplomatique
Important read for Mali context.
- Elite won't share power and wealth - Le Monde diplomatique
- “Burkas for babies”: Saudi cleric’s new fatwa causes controversy
The putrid brains of wahabbis...
- ‘Sheratongate’ reveals Tunisia’s growing pains - FT.com
- Upheaval drains life from Egypt businesses | TribLIVE
- BBC News - Syria opposition chief invited to Moscow
- Assassination attempt against Egypt's Suleiman a mystery two years later - The National
- I Joined Them to Be Able to Do Civil Work | مجموعة الجمهورية للدراسات
On Syrian militia training.
- Interview with Dr. Ali Khalifa Al Kuwari, author of “The People Want Reform… In Qatar, Too” - Heinrich Böll Foundation
- Saudi preacher gets off light for raping, killing daughter