Links 11-16 March 2013
- Syria Comment » The Free Syrian Army doesn’t exist
It's a branding operation, says Lund.
- Muslim Brotherhood’s Words on Women Stir Liberal Fears - NYTimes.com
“Marital rape? Is this a big problem that we have?”
- Mali media strike over editor Boukary Daou's arrest - MALI - FRANCE 24
- Protests mount in Algeria | GlobalPost
- Egypt and the IMF: Still Going Round and Round | Atlantic Council
- Chroniques du délitement. 6 / Bachar Al Assad en appelle au jihad | Un oeil sur la Syrie
- Le Figaro: La révolte du sud algérien fait trembler le pouvoir
- Brian Whitaker's blog - Review of "Sex and the Citadel"
A riot simulation game.
- Business in Egypt: Feeling the squeeze | The Economist
On the Sawiris.
- Gulf States Buy Egyptian Riots | The American Conservative
Big claim, no evidence
- Brotherhood critic elected for Journalists Syndicate | Egypt Independent
Things change fast.
- Ministry official: CSF never use excessive force | Egypt Independent
Why isn't this official fired?
- The US, the Brotherhood and the opposition: Old wine in new bottles | Egypt Independent
Khalil Anani makes some good points.
- The Muslim Brotherhood's War on Egyptian Media | The Nation
Max Blumenthal interviews Hani Shukrallah
- Who was right about invading Iraq? | Stephen M. Walt
Not people now in govt, says Walt.
- Freedom and Justice Party Launches 'Six-Point Initiative' to End Port Said Crisis - Ikhwanweb
- Muslim Brotherhood Statement Denouncing UN Women Declaration for Violating Sharia Principles - Ikhwanweb
- Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood blasts anticipated U.N. women’s document - Alarabiya.net
The MB statement on this is scathing.
- الوطن | رئيس تحرير "إخوان أون لاين" الأسبق يعلن استقالته من "الحرية والعدالة" لسوء أدائه
Editor of Ikhwan Online quits over FJP/presidency behavior
- AP EXCLUSIVE: Police blamed in Egypt revolt deaths | TuscaloosaNews.com
- Intellectually disabled detainees beaten by police - Daily News Egypt
- Islam and Secularism in the Arab World: Lessons from Turkey | Brookings Institution
- How the Muslim Brotherhood Hijacked Syria's Revolution - By Hassan Hassan | Foreign Policy
By being rather well-organized...
Latest fantastic portraits by great Spanish photog Miguel Ángel Sánchez
- New POMED Policy Brief: Confront or Conform? Rethinking U.S. Democracy Assistance | Project on Middle East Democracy (POMED)
- Egypt branded more dangerous for tourists than Yemen - World News
- Tunis Journal - A Front-Row Seat for an Uprising - NYTimes.com
On Ave. Habib Bourguiba.
- Some Long Thoughts: Algeria Plays Defense | The Moor Next Door
- Democratic transition vs. democratic transformation | Egypt Independent
Excellent piece by Dina al-Khawaga.
- Politically motivated sexual assault: the Egypt story none want to hear | Mariz Tadros | guardian.co.uk
- Raped Egypt Women Wish Death Over Life as Crimes Ignored - Bloomberg
- Egypt’s Budget Less Transparent Than Mubarak Era, Survey Shows - Bloomberg
- ‘We-will-not-let-Egypt-fall’ - Al-Ahram Weekly
Ahram: "Who takes decisions regarding the tunnels?" Gehad alHaddad: "I don’t know."
- Al-Nadeem center says its activists face intimidation campaign | Egypt Independent