Links 27 May - 3 June 2013
- World Briefing | Middle East: Egypt: Activist Sentenced to Prison for Insulting Morsi
- Twitter a Mirror for the Turkish Press, and the Reflection Isn't Pretty | TechPresident
Lisa Goldman on the scandal of Turkish media
- PHOTOS: Demonstrators occupy Istanbul’s Taskim Square | +972 Magazine
- China Is Reaping Biggest Benefits of Iraq Oil Boom - NYTimes.com
- Quite a novelty
The deal for a "new Yemen"
- AP News: Court says Egypt legislature illegally elected
Best piece I've seen on ruling so far.
- A report from Gezi Park
- Once a talk shop, Egypt’s Islamist-led upper house of parliament now a powerhouse - The Washington Post
- FJP proposes army voting ban for next 5 years | Egypt Independent
A reasonable compromise.
- Erimtan Angle Special: The Gezi Park Protests | istanbulgazette.com
Backgrounder on park plans.
- Power outages become routine in Egypt, triggering protests and campaigns - The Washington Post
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass | Smithsonian Magazine
Zahi: "I’ve never slept with a prostitute in my life."
- Obama’s Long Road to Peace by David Cole | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books
Rather overly generous towards Obama.
- A Tale From The Taksim Anti-Mall Mobilisations : rabble
On today's protests in Istanbul
- Artists and the Arab Uprisings | RAND
Report looks at freedom of expression, funding.
- From the Potomac to the Euphrates » Masters of Disaster
Excellent post by Steve Cook on the usual crazies in DC.
- Stay Out of Syria! by David Bromwich | The New York Review of Books
Looks at US press debate on Syria, legacy of Iraq.
- Salafism’s March through North Africa
Tarek Osman in Cairo Review predicts an eclipse.
- Islamists attack Turkey 'kissing protest'
- Islamists: parliamentary elections will be held next year
- Egyptian ambassador: Ethiopia dam 'a reality' to cope with
- Tuesday’s papers: Documentary made about Morsy, ‘Tamarod’ gears up efforts
- Bread rumours could lead to “mother of all crises” | REBEL ECONOMY
Good post, and good comment.
- UK and France win battle to lift EU’s Syria arms embargo - FT.com
- The loneliness of resisting the conspirators against Hizbollah - FT.com
- Mapping the Coptic Movements: Coptic Activism in a Revolutionary Setting
- The End of the (Southern) Neighbourhood
Paper on EU Med policy by Kristina Kausch
- Empire Wants What’s Best for the Arabs
Andrew Hammond reports from the Doha summit
- Hizbullah's Syrian adventure