Links 23 December 2013 - 17 January 2014
Happy new year, I guess.
- Dans l’oasis du Fayoum, au sud du Caire, les Frères musulmans rasent les murs
- Training Fighters of Future Across Gaza - NYTimes.com
- Does Egypt’s Vote Matter?
Ursula Lindsey on what the referendum signifies
- Democratic Republic of Zamalek
"Our official language will be a magical hybrid of Arabic, English and rural Filipino"
- Summary Of Egypt Aid Limits In The Omnibus Appropriations Bill
- A Recipe for Civil War? [PDF]
FRIDE's Kristina Kausch compares Egypt and Algeria
- Live updates: 98% of votes in 25 governorates in favour of draft constitution - Politics - Egypt - Ahram Online
Egyptian news site estimates approval rate
- Rumour and referendum in Egypt: Staying on side | The Economist
And another great one from Max Rodenbeck
- Voters come out after Imbaba blast | Mada Masr
A good story from Sarah Carr
- Keep Pollard Behind Bars - NYTimes.com
- Egypt’s Quest for Itself
Peter Harling and Yasser El Shimy.
- De hauts gradés du DRS mis à la retraite
More sidelining of old guard in Algeria
- Hey General, It's Me, Chuck. Again. - Shadi Hamid - POLITICO
Hamid argument based on (false) premise that US cares.
- Egypt’s phony democracy doesn’t deserve U.S. aid - The Washington Post
- From the Potomac to the Euphrates » Do Not Run, al Sisi…Do Not Run
Steven Cook makes his case.
- Armed institutions in Egyptian constitutions - Al Jazeera English
Omar Ashour on the Egyptian army's moves against democracy in 1952
- Exclusive: With Muslim Brotherhood crushed, Egypt sets sights on Hamas | Reuters
- Should We Cut Off Egypt Aid? Ask AIPAC - The Daily Beast
Israel and friend working hard to defend Egypt aid.
- It’s better if Al Sissi stays on as Egypt's army chief, says Mohammad Bin Rashid
Big deal this is made public?
- Civil war turns Syria into major amphetamines hub
Also the case in Libya - mix of young men, drugs and guns...
- Sisi…Egypt’s president in 2014 | Cairo Post
Good example of the kind of fawning "Sisi will save us" op-eds we can look forward to many more of
- Fun with facts | Inanities
Thank you Sarah Carr for tearing to bits supremely disingenuous WSJ column (and others)
- Ariel Sharon’s burial plot set to displace 15,000 Palestinians | The Pan-Arabia Enquirer
"It's what he would have wanted."
- Egypt’s unsustainable crackdown | European Council on Foreign Relations
Urges EU to think long-term, grow balls.
- Algérie | Ramtane Lamamra : "L'Histoire nous donnera raison" | Jeuneafrique.com
DZ FM refuses to discuss Morocco.
- Egypt’s Salafist official: ‘Courts decide who are the terrorists’ - Al Arabiya News
- Legitimizing an Undemocratic Process in Egypt - Carnegie
- Egypt’s Counterrevolution - NYTimes.com
Missed this op-ed by Sara Khorshid.
- Burglars Who Took On F.B.I. Abandon Shadows
As young activists, they unveiled FBI spying, blackmailing of civil rights and anti-war groups
- Crushed to death: Palestinian man dies at overcrowded West Bank checkpoint | Mondoweiss
- The Controversial Death of a Teenage Stringer
Teenage Syrian photographer working for Reuters is killed
- The Muslim Brotherhood takes its case to the International Criminal Court
Accuses regime of murder, torture, disappearances, persecution
- Ahmed Maher, Jailed Egyptian Activist, Describes Prison In Smuggled Letters
Unbelievable that this man is back in prison
- Egyptian Chronicles: The Return of the #NDP Rascals
- African migrants in Israel protest in Tel Aviv
Against a law that allows them to be detained for a year without charges
- At al-Azhar University « LRB blog
- Selling a constitution | Mada Masr
Anonymous Egyptian businessmen finance get-out-the-"Yes"-vote
- The Israeli Embassy's Extension
Good BBC comedy sketch
- The Muslim Brotherhood, Back in a Fight to Survive - NYTimes.com
Great reporting on MB adaptation.
- The Egyptian army collects billions in government contracts
Just in the last few months
- Al Sa’eh Library in Tripoli Before It Got Torched
80,000 books may be lost