Links 23 December 2013 - 3 January 2014
- Arab gloom: This year can’t be as bad as the last | The Economist
Oh yes it can.
- No more negotiating | Mada Masr
An obituary for negotiations between the Brotherhood and the authorities
- Morocco launches process to normalize illegal immigrants
Hundreds of thousands of Sub-Saharan African immigrants hope to obtain residency
- Egypt Says 3 Journalists Will Be Held 15 More Days - NYTimes.com
- الحكم على «ماهينور المصري» و6 نشطاء آخرين بالحبس سنتين و50 ألف جنيه غرامة | أخبار الموجز
More April 6 activists sentenced to 2 years for protesting outside the Khaled Said trial in Alexandria
- A state in shackles | Mada Masr
Lina Atallah on the Egyptian state's self-damage
- Taking stock of 2013 | Mada Masr
The thoughts and concerns of journalists at a progressive local publication in Cairo
- Debating the academic boycott of Israel - The Washington Post
- Claire Potter and David Hirsh debate academic boycott - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Interesting (and civil) exchange between 2 academics on the question of a scholarly boycott of Israel
- Scholars Debate Significance of American Studies Assn.’s Vote to Boycott Israel - Research - The Chronicle of Higher Education
A resolution by US professors to join the boycott, divestment and sanctions movements against Israel has caused heated debate
- Iraq-Syria « LRB blog
Adam Shatz on increasingly convoluted US policy in the Middle East
- The satire that made fool of Arab media outlets
Egyptian newspapers pick up made-up story, don't bother retracting it
- Blast Kills Palestinian, a Diplomat, in Prague - NYTimes.com
- The Economist’s country of the year
Uruguay, for legalizing cannabis and gay marriage.
- Next Year’s Wars
ICG's Louise Arbour on 10 conflicts to watch in 2014.
- Secret HQ in Amman helps and directs Syrian rebels in south | The National
Always excellent Phil Sands.
- «الإخوان» تنشر قائمة ضباط «فض رابعة والنهضة» وتدعو لمحاصرة منازلهم | المصري اليوم
MB publishes names, addresses of Rabaa police officers.
- Egypt Detains Journalists It Says Aired ‘False News’
Jazeera team arrested for covering MB protests, meeting with MB
- Syria refugee crisis: how to donate
Links to organizations that could use your holiday spirit
- Turkish leader’s turmoil may stem from a former ally - The Washington Post
On the Gulen network.
- الوطن | ضبط إخواني في الدقهلية أثناء تحريره محضرا بحرق الصيدلية الخاصة به
Muslim Brother tries to file police reports on arson of his pharmacy; gets arrested for belonging to terrorist organization
- How al-Qaeda Changed the Syrian War by Sarah Birke | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books
Grim, excellent reporting.
- How many Europeans are waging jihad in Syria? | The XX Committee
4-5,000 Europeans waging jihad in Syria, according to Belgian intel
- Ansar Jerusalem claims responsibility for Mansoura suicide bombing - The Long War Journal
But Egyptian government blames the Muslim Brotherhood
- Egypt names Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist group
After attack on police headquarters in Mansoura kills 14, injures 100 (but MB denies any involvement)
- State Information Services urges foreign media to support Egypt in its fight against terrorism
Attack in Mansoura "proves" Egyptian state deserves international support
- اليوم السابع | الداخلية: 5 سنوات حبس للمتظاهر الإخوانى.. والإعدام قد يطول قادة التنظيم
Egypt's Ministry of Interior: death penalty for organizing MB protest, 5 yrs for participating