Links 13 November - 5 December 2014
- Congress enshrines Israel in a new class of ally
For shame - an ally that spies on US.
- Profiling the Islamic State | Brookings Institution
- Islamist and Secular Forces in Morocco
- The refusal to talk to hostage-takers has sucked the US and UK into war | Jonathan Littell | The Guardian
Interesting argument against US/UK policy not to pay ransoms.
- Jihadi Blowback in Saudi Arabia | Hurst Publishers
Anti-Shia attacks in Saudi.
- Prominent Libyan cleric kidnapped in Tripoli | Libya Herald
If the Hassi govt can't provide protection for people like this...
- Dispatches: The Ugly Truth Behind the UAE’s Gleam | Human Rights Watch
- Suez canal scheme ‘threatens ecosystem and human activity in Mediterranean’ | The Guardian
- Q&A: The Mubarak trial verdict – What just happened? | Mada Masr
- « Hercule contre Hermès » récompensé malgré les procès
Millionaires and farmers battle over a Moroccan beach
- Marrakech is set to become photography's global HQ – so why aren't locals happy?
On planned museum in Moroccan tourist mecca
- Tripoli restaurant blown up in hygiene scandal
Libya has the best headlines. (Paywall - screenshot here: http://bzapt.com/1barM+)
- Nathan Thrall · Rage in Jerusalem · LRB 4 December 2014
Read the whole thing.
- Christian Le Miere: Egyptian naval skirmish highlights maritime insecurity | IISS
- The Firing of Chuck Hagel by Elizabeth Drew | NYRblog
Good piece by Elizabeth Drew.
- La Libye, enjeu de la visite en France du président égyptien Sissi - Le Monde
- Egypt's secular opposition closes in on Salafist Nour Party - Ahram Online
- Why Egypt Crushes at Squash
- Egypt closes schools in Sinai towns as area inches toward open war
- Doctor acquitted after 13-year-old Egyptian girl dies from female genital mutilation | Egyptian Streets
Even though FGM has been criminalized
- An Open Letter to King Mohammed VI
Regarding Western Sahara
- A Norwegian Tragedy
Adam Shatz on right-wing terrorism and Islamophobia in Europe
- Why the U.A.E. is calling 2 American groups terrorists
Basically, because they may have ties to the MB
- Leaked prison letter from hunger striker Mohamed Soltan
The son of an MB leader who they've basically decided to let die
- Domination and Tunisian Politics
Abu Aardvark asks: How come no one worries the secularists will be bullies?
- Death of the Firstborn Egyptians
Awesome animation by Nina Paley
- Egypt’s Sinai demolitions reverberate back in Gaza
- The Truth About the Wars
A US general says surge's success is a myth.
- Don’t bank on tribes rising up to combat ISIL
- New Egypt decree: President can deport foreigners
(who are convicted) - way out of AJE crisis?