Links 17-27 March 2014
- The Obama Doctrine
Gary Sick on Obama's uber-realist (unrealistic?) MENA policy
- Egypt army extends power by taking charge of Gulf aid
- Egypt: The Revolution’s Last Stand - The Daily Beast
On student unrest.
- Petites guerres locales en Libye
Good piece on the difficulty of "reading" Libya.
- Meet Egypt’s next would-be president | Mada Masr
Reminds us that Sisi + army said he would not run.
- BBC News - Abdul Fattah al-Sisi: New face of Egypt's old guard
- Sisi 2014!
Steve Cook on the challenges facing Sisi.
- Occidental’s $8 Billion Deal Stalled by Brotherhood Row - Bloomberg
Fallout of GCC divide.
- Saudi Arabia: A kingdom on guard - FT
Long piece by Roula Khalaf on Saudi, Egypt, MB, GCC, etc.
- Report: Qatar's World Cup Expected To Take More Lives Than 9/11
What a headline.
- Time to Get Tough on Egypt - Shadi Hamid - POLITICO
- Meet Egypt’s next would-be president
So Sisi has announced...
- Between the Nuremberg Trials and the “Glorious” Egyptian Judiciary » CounterPunch
Number-crunching a judicial travesty
- Betrayed by Charles Simic | NYRblog
On crowds, power, double-standards.
- Egyptian army’s role expands as it gives land for homes - FT
Heba Saleh snags a rare interview with chief army accountant.
- L’Arabie saoudite, alliée objective du Qatar ?
- Egypt’s Miscarriage of Justice - NYT
"There is no way that the proceeding can be seen as anything other than a show trial with a preordained political outcome."
- Egyptian television celebrates mass death sentence | Mada Masr
Or the moral disintegration of Egypt's media elite.
- Lysenko's time | Mada Masr
Learned, lucid piece on regime charlatanism by @alaa.
- Qatar prepares for sanctions if Brotherhood dispute escalates - FT
- Carnegie roundtable on the "Egypt effect"
- AP : Libya's guns free-for-all fuels region's turmoil
- Good analytic piece.
- Turkey Goes Out of Control by Christopher de Bellaigue
"The Turkish miracle is over."
- Reconsidering the “Transition Paradigm” [PDF]
Fukuyama, Diamond, etc.
- The Candidate from a Different Planet
Libyan PM hopeful is married to a Bronfman.
- Gilead offers Egypt new hepatitis C drug at 99 percent discount | Reuters
But the army's koftagi will do it for less!
- The roots and future of sectarianism in the Gulf
- Turkey blocks access to Twitter - FT.com
Ridiculous and desperate.
- Stopping a Civil War in Libya
The Jedran problem.
- What Pakistan Knew About Bin Laden
- Imam's arrest sparks debate in Tunisia
Salafi imam uses freedom of speech defense - but would he support it?
- Tunisia sex workers call for brothel to reopen in resort of Sousse
Prostitutes appeal to Ennahda MP for support.
- En Egypte, « un état d’urgence qui ne dit pas son nom »
- On rampant torture and brutality in Egypt
- Egypt, the wound in US-Saudi relations - Ahram Online
One would think the wound is 9/11, but nevermind.
- Qahera - a superhero
Comic about Muslim woman with sword and attitude
- Mehdi Jomâa estime "positive" la décision de l'Arabie saoudite de classer des organisations et partis comme "terroristes"
Jomaa praises Saudi move on MB, Ghannouchi stays quiet
- The mysterious journey of the Libya oil tanker
Love this story, good digging by Reuters.
- Don’t cancel sale of Apaches to Egypt, Israel urges U.S.
- SEALed and Delivered in Libya
Christian Caryl - largely agree with this.
- The Threat of Civil War in Libya
- Libya pays the price for its post-Gaddafi mistakes
- Five Ways You're Wrong About Libya
(the NATO intervention, that is)
- Erdoğan's top 15 insults world leaders don't usually make
Calls opponents perverts, atheists, terrorists, bloodsucking vampires..
- 'Seni bilen hayran, bilmeyen dusman' or, Why Erdogan Remains so Popular
Good article in Jadaliyya on Erdogan's tactics and enduring appeal for his base
- Leaked tapes prompt calls for Turkish PM to resign
Just catching up on this scandal. What is with leaked phone taps in the region lately?
- La région arabophone, entre changement progressiste et barbarie. Entretien avec Gilbert Achcar
- I’m an Egyptian Woman and I Like Being Sexually Harrassed
"I wake up every morning looking forward to getting sexually harassed in Cairo."
- William McCants | Saudi Arabia Takes on the Muslim Brotherhood | Foreign Affairs
- Egypt’s old regime backs Sisi for now - Al-Monitor
overstates his case
- Saudi’s Lonely, Costly Bid for Sunni-Shiite Equality