Links 30 May - 13 June 2014
A lean couple of weeks...
- Israeli authorities destroy Palestinian family’s valley of fruit trees
On so it goes on an on..
- Alaa Abdel Fattah, 24 others handed 15-year sentences
For an "illegal" protest. This is fucking heartbreaking.
- Sisiphus | MERIP
On Egypt's new president.
- FRIDE - Morocco’s Islamists: Bucking the trend?
Anouar Boukhars on the PJD.
- Save Mohamed Soltan’s life In preventive detention and on hunger strike since 26 January 2014
- Tahrir Square assaults
Nadine Marroushi gives a comprehensive account of the reactions to recent mass sexual assaults
- Tunisie : mon café s’est renversé, c’est la faute de la révolution - Le nouvel Observateur
Great piece on Tunisia
- Iran’s plan for Syria aims to woo Saudi Arabia and the west - FT.com
- Au Maroc, le jeu retors du pouvoir avec les salafistes - Mediapart
Abu Hafs: "J'ai lu Anna Karénine, le plus grand roman d'amour au monde!"
- Egypt, citing security, wants foreign companies to help monitor social media
- Egypt Now: A Sampling of Cognitive Biases | KarmaMole
- The EU was 'a puppet in the hands of the Egyptians' says member state | Middle East Eye
- Religious Groups and Scholars of Islam in the Syrian Revolution – by Issam Eido
- hawgblawg: Interview with lawyer of El Haqed (Al Haqed/L7a9ed) + more
- Libye : 3 premiers ministres, 2 Parlements, mais pas d'État
Great headline from Le Figaro.
- Time Is Running out: 30 Days till #koftagate — Update
The scandal that lives on...
- Election Commission rejects Sabbahi’s appeal of results
And of course, that can't be appealed. Move on...
- Egypt’s Looted Antiquities - NYTimes.com
US one of main markets.
- The Autocracy Challenge - NYTimes.com
Brooks, engaged in delusional propaganda.
- Égypte : l'Histoire officielle contre la mémoire
- What’s Going On In Saudi Arabia? « LobeLog.com
- The Saudi monarchy and the regional contest for influence: what is changing and what is not | Aspenia online
- How Sisi plotted to become Egypt's president - even while Hosni Mubarak was in power - Telegraph
- An Ugly Spectacle | salamamoussa
Maged Atiya on Mervat Tallawy's bizarre rant against the EU
- BBC News - Reporting Saudi Arabia's hidden uprising
On Eastern province
- Egypt, the Election, and Sectarian Analysis
Jayson Casper on a controversial poll.
- Baheyya: Sisi's Challenge
Is handling opposition cleverly.
- Tariq Ali · Diary: In Cairo · LRB 5 June 2014
Ali says "hope is dead."
- Egyptian TV Swayed Public Against Morsi, in Favor of Sisi - WSJ.com
good piece on media hysteria.