Links 14-30 June 2014
- Saudi king sacks deputy defence minister - royal court | Reuters
- More signs of al-Saud family feuds
- Cairobserver — Egypt's cities: governed by spectacle
- Egypt hosts launch of new Qatari opposition group | Middle East Eye
- Government decides to legalise firearms | Libya Herald
I'm sure all the militias will care.
- Kurds’ deputy PM Talabani calls for decentralised Iraq
- Egypt Moves to Restrict Ramadan Sermons | TIME
More religious control.
- Revisionist powers are driving the world’s crises - FT
Mead vs. Ikenberry
- On the Misconception of ‘Security Before Democracy’
Critical piece on Sisi regime by activist Mustafa al-Naggar (PDF)
- Release of Mubarak sons ordered as inquiry continues in profiteering case
- Armed Forces say miracle HCV cure needs 6 months of further testing
- This Is What It’s Like To Be a Journalist in an Egyptian Prison
The experience of Mohamed Badr, a Jazeera cameraman.
- The Jihad Next Door
Interesting article highlights the Assad regime's release of hundreds of jihadis in 2011
- Stephen W. Smith on Chad
A rare look at the country.
- Libyan human rights activist shot dead
Lawyer Salwa Bugaighis assassinated in Benghazi
- Tahrir Square sexual assaults trial begins
- Kamel Daoud double Camus
"The Stranger" rewritten from victim's perspective
- Beware Libya’s ‘Fair Dictator’ - NYT
Pointed rebuke to US ambiguity on Haftar.
- The Military Crowds Out Civilian Business in Egypt - Carnegie
- Sting operation reveals flawed science behind the 'Complete Cure Device'
Meanwhile army claims cure for Hep C/Aids will be available on June 30
- Infographic: Explaining Libya’s election - Al Jazeera English
- The Infiltrator
A documentary about those mysterious "thugs" in Egypt
- The brutality of Egypt’s regime - FT.com
Editorial says "tough approach" needed towards Sisi
- Dammit, It Is NOT Unravelling: An Historian’s Rebuke to Misrepresentations of Sykes-Picot
- Wanted: Egyptian Police on the Hunt for Sophisticated Surveillance Tool
Interior has issued tender for system to conduct "social networking security hazard monitoring"
- Egypt’s secret prison: ‘disappeared’ face torture in Azouli military jail
Where they are "coached" into giving terrorism confessions
- The Native Informant: A Profile of Fouad Ajami
Adam Shatz's classic 2003 portrait of the late scholar and supporter of US imperial interventions
- Yara Sallam in jail, and the moral bankruptcy of the United States
After a peaceful protest was attacked on June 21
- How Maliki Ruined Iraq
Zaid Al Ali blames political elite's corruption and hunger for power
- Tony Blair eyes Abu Dhabi office as he looks to expand Middle East role - FT
"There is chemistry between him and Mohammed bin Zayed.”
- Weeks of killing
Important report, full of testimonies, by Egyptian NGO on the violence following Morsi's ouster.
- Free Alaa Abdel Fattah
@ursulind on the crackdown on Egyptian activists
- Jihadi Recruitment in Riyadh Revives Saudi Arabia's Greatest Fear - Bloomberg
- Arab states urge reconciliation, blame sectarian policies
- On Recent Events in Mosul and Other Cities in Iraq
A statement from the Federation of Workers' Councils and Unions in Iraq
- Why iraqis are celebrating islamic extremists’ takeover of their city
Interesting report on ISIS' reception (and directives to locals) in Mosul
- Egyptian actress says a visit from Sisi ‘worth sex attack’
Just when you think people can sink no lower
- Letters from prison
Testimonies from Egypt's jails over the last year, collected by the Nadim Center