Links August 2014
Clearing the holiday backlog...
- Fathers of ISIS | P U L S E
- Blamed for Rise of ISIS, Syrian Leader Is Pushed to Escalate Fight - NYT
Assad's ISIS blowback.
- Egypt's Wasat party withdraws from pro-Morsi bloc | Middle East Eye
Wonder if leaders to be released...
- Saudi princes visit Qatar as Gulf states try to end rift | Reuters
I wonder how much of this is over Libya
- Libya: Is civil war likely? | The Economist
- Libya's New Power Brokers?
Excellent overview of power networks by M. Fitzgerald.
- Libya: Anarchy
On the recent UAE-Egyptian raids, and how they haven't tipped the balance
- Art Beyond Politics, by Robyn Creswell
On an exhibition of Arab art at the New Museum
- Hundreds bid farewell to iconic human rights lawyer Ahmed Seif El Islam
Meanwhile two of his children are in jail
- Arab Nations Strike in Libya, Surprising U.S. - NYT
- The Case of the Arabic Noirs, Jonathan Guyer
Cairo is the perfect setting for noir -- sleaze, glitz, inequality, corruption, lawlessness. It's got it all.
- Sisi’s Security Dilemma
- U.N. Raises Estimate of Dead in Syrian Conflict to 191,000
- Sisi Victorious
Elliott Colla with depressing if accurate read on Egypt
- Egypt’s Judiciary, Coopted
- Francis Fukuyama | The Sources of American Political Dysfunction | Foreign Affairs
Very interesting piece on American decay.
- Morocco: the cannabis question. Call to legalise "therapeutic" cultivation
- Strangled in debt
Incredible: women in Egypt get 10-year sentences for debts of a few thousand dollars (incurred to help their husbands)
- Resisting Nazis, He Saw Need for Israel. Now He Is Its Critic
91-year-old whose family were Nazi resisters loses relatives in Gaza bombing. Amazing story.
- On the Three Types of Arabs: The Evil, the Good, and the Harmless
- How Egypt Prolonged the Gaza War
- Groundswell of social media support for ISIS coming from…. Saudi Arabia
- Federal court refuses to enforce $123M judgment from a Moroccan court - The Washington Post
- The Massacre One Year Later | MERIP
- Morocco's 'King of the Poor' | Middle East Eye
- Baheyya: Egypt Analysis and Whimsy بهيّة: A Grand Entente
On Egypt, Israel and Saudi's counter-revolution.
- The Sisi Doctrine
Michael Hanna on Egypt's emerging FP.
- To Fix Iraq, Don’t Lose Sight of Syria « LobeLog.com
- French secret service killed Gaddafi on Sarkozy’s orders: reports | Middle East Eye
- The Salafi Dawa of Alexandria: The Politics of A Religious Movement - Hudson Institute
- Iraq and Syria’s Poetic Borders - The New Yorker
Great piece by Elias Muhanna.
- Egypt operates secret prisons for suspected militants
- Fareed Zakaria: The fantasy of Middle Eastern moderates - WaPo
Pro-Syria intervention folks not going to like this.
- Saving the Middle East's Past
Ursula for the Chronicle of Higher Ed: Scholars scramble with online tools and volunteer efforts to save the region's heritage from obliteration
- Yasmin El-Rifae: The Air Was Hot with Hysterical Nationalism
On the terrible anniversary of the Rabaa massacre
- The Women in a Morgue in Baghdad - The New Yorker
Just what the title says. Well worth reading.
- U.S. Pulls Back on Plans for a Mountain Rescue - NYT
Situation improved for Yazidis thru Pershmerga rescue
- Egypt’s Fondness for Foreigners - NYT
Alaa Aswany, being schizophrenic. Good historical anecdotes tho.
- As war with Israel shatters lives, more Gazans question Hamas decisions - The Washington Post
- In Syria's starving Yarmuk camp, a pianist conjures hope
"the 26-year-old plays the piano in streets littered with debris, his face growing thinner with each passing month."
- ▶ Senator David Norris" Israel bombs first and weeps later". - YouTube
Irish pol shows backbone
- Jerusalem Mixed and Unmixed | MERIP
On Sayed Kashua leaving Israel.
- Saudis have lost the right to take Sunni leadership - FT
They never had "the right"
- Obama, With Reluctance, Returns to Action in Iraq - NYT
- In Morocco, Crackdowns on Press Freedom | World Policy Institute
It's been a decade...
- Egypt’s National Plan to Fight Atheism - The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy
- Law to hush up NGOs | Mada Masr
- Israel and the Palestinians: Gaza abacus | The Economist
- The consequences of reporting Egypt's coup | Middle East Eye
Nadia Aboul Magd
- Who Is Behind Gaza's Mass Execution? - The Daily Beast
- Nathan Thrall · Hamas’s Chances · LRB 21 August 2014