Links March 7 - 13 2015
- Morocco: The slow pace of change
- Europe Stands Up to Saudi Arabia
Interesting Swedish-Saudi falling out
- Built on Sand: Egypt’s Questionable Strategy for Growth and Development [PDF]
- Egypt: Newspaper reporting that ministries dodged over US$1 billion in taxes confiscated
- The “invisible hand” of the state in MENA economies
On SOEs, many good points.
- AFTER ARAB SPRING, SURVEILLANCE IN EGYPT INTENSIFIES
Good to see The Intercept focus on Arab countries.
- The big drop: Riyadh’s oil gamble
Interesting long piece on Saudi energy policy.
- The Inquiry: Who Wants What in Libya?
With my contribution.
- Iran Offers to Mediate Talks Between Republicans and Obama
- On the difficulties of forming a Shia-Sunni alliance against ISIS
- Sisi has a lot riding on this economic investment conference
- How to get (and dump) and ISIS boyfriend online: A reporter’s undercover life with a terrorist
- Becoming Jihadi John
Good analysis of how ISIS "weaponizes discontent"
- Liberman: 'Behead' Disloyal Arab Citizens of Israel
- School shut down after pupil allegedly killed by teacher in Cairo And teacher arrested?
- 'SNL' Has Nothing On The Way The Middle East Mocks ISIS
- Cairo’s Museum of Islamic Art: A year after a terrorist bombing, the famed museum remains in ruins. Partly because of corruption in Egypt
- Max Fisher on another murder of a Muslim in the US and the climate that may have encouraged it
- In Libya, will Misrata be the kingmaker?
Good overview of diversity of militias in Misrata.
- New EU Syria sanctions reveal regime collusion with Isis - FT
- Collusion to Crackdown: Islamist-Military Relations in Egypt | Brookings Institution
- Saudi Arabia wants us to make peace with Egypt, says Turkish president
- Will #SisiLeaks be Egypt's Watergate for Abdel Fatah al-Sisi?