Links 11 July - 16 August 2015
Post-summer break link dump. We are resuming our normal programming...
- The ‘magic words:’ How a simple phrase enmeshed the U.S. in Syria’s crisis | McClatchy DC
One of Obama's big mistakes.
- So…Yalla, Bye | Foreign Office Blogs
Funny send-off by departing UK ambassador
- Syria: The Threat of Indifference by Hugh Eakin and Alisa Roth | NYR Daily | The New York Review of Books
- ISIS Enshrines a Theology of Rape - The New York Times
- In Egypt, Disaffected Youth Increasingly Drawn To Extremism
- Sexual harassment in Saudi Arabia is widespread
- The Launch Of The "New Suez Canal" Was Really, Really Weird
Buzzfeed gets snarky
- To Vote or Not to Vote: An In-Depth Study of Egypt’s Electoral Participation
- The Arab-US Strategic Partnership and the Changing Security Balance in the Gulf | Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Liina Mustonen-The Gender Dimension of the Authoritarian Backlash in Egypt, Spring 2015-TPQ
- The Military Balance in a Shattered Levant | Center for Strategic and International Studies
- We completely agree: Egyptian media in the era of President el-Sisi - Committee to Protect Journalists
- The Struggle for the Leadership of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood-Carnegie Middle East Center - Carnegie
Interesting piece by George Fahmi.
- For Egypt rulers past and present, Suez a symbol of glory
Good piece on Suez Canal parallels
- Don’t Call Us the Lebanese Kardashians: Abdelaziz Sisters Stir Up the Arab World - WSJ
- Egypt: New foundations — FT.com
On tackling slums
- A reality check on the New Suez Canal | Mada Masr
- Argus: Bigger Suez Canal Does Not Guarantee Increased Traffic | World Maritime News
- Sex, morality and the law in Morocco
There's been a string of controversies lately
- Les intellectuels égyptiens à nouveau fascinés par le despote
- Unprecedented Pressures, Uncharted Course for Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood - Carnegie
Brown and Dunne.
- Egypt: Police Account of Deadly Raid in Question | Human Rights Watch
Signs that MB members may have been killed after arrest.
- Who is running the Egyptian state? - The Washington Post
Nathan Brown and Katie Bentivoglio
- Short Cuts
Chase Madar on the weaponisation of human rights