Links 17-21 August 2015
Great idea: displaced Syrians act as online Arabic tutors
- Anthropologist Seeks the Roots of Terrorism
On the challenges of studying jihadists
- Donne che mordono donne
In Italian: testimony of medieval practices of ISIS female police
- Eric Laurent interpellé pour chantage au Roi
French journalists accused of blackmailing the king of Morocco
- Vast Reserves of Natural Gas Found Off the Coast of Egypt
Great, much-needed news.
- IS posts pics of food distribution in North Sinai
- Sinai Militancy and the Threat to International Forces [PDF]
- The disgrace we should not embrace
Khaled Mansour on Egypt's human rights council.
- Egypt in Talks to Buy Mistral Warships From France
More Sisi defense spending...
- Securing the Sinai MFO Without a U.S. Drawdown
Eric Trager on MFO policy review.
- Is Alawite Solidarity Finally Breaking?
- Brookings | Rethinking Political Islam
Essays on Islamists in various countries.
- Lebanon’s Un-collected Problems
Sahar Atrache on Beirut's garbage crisis
- You Can't Stop the Signal
Great piece by Mahmoud Salem.
- The UN Security Council debates gays and ISIS: Why this is a bad idea | a paper bird
Long post by Scott Long.
- Shipping Giants Reduce Sailings on World’s Busiest Route - WSJ
Bad news for the Suez Canal.
- Imprisoned activist Alaa Abd El Fattah speaks from Tora | Mada Masr
Imprisoned Egyptian activist @alaa on prisons as sites of violations, extremism and boredom
- Look At This: The Unthinkable
Five minutes of beautiful, heart-rending photos from Yemen
- The Republic of Fear
Strong words from Amr Hamzawy on Sisi's Egypt.
- How ISIL Out-Terrorized Bin Laden - William McCants - POLITICO
- Foreign Policy by Bumper Sticker | The National Interest
Many good points here, esp. on Obama in Libya and Syria.
- After its leader resigns what comes next for the Dostour Party? | Mada Masr
What an absurd mess.
- 'There is no silver bullet': Isis, al-Qaida and the myths of terrorism | The Guardian
- In Egypt, the "disappeared" resurface on TV as terrorists - Reuters
- On writing about sexual violence
From one of the volunteers who worked to defend Egyptian women from assault
- The Questionable Legality of Military Aid to Egypt - NYT
Considering use of F16s in civilian areas...
- Religioscope: Étude: l'État islamique
Study on IS by Olivier Moos [French]
- Arianna Huffington and the Khanfar connection
Whitaker on HuffPo Arabi
- Enduring repression and insurgency in Egypt's Sinai - BBC News
- The Chinese Lingerie Venders of Egypt
Another great piece from Peter Hessler
- The langue de Moliere gets a north African infusion
Nothing so new, but I love hearing about new French slang
- Girls gone wild, parties gone bad
An analysis of a hit Ramadan soap about drug addiction