Links 10 September - 13 October 2017
Another overdue link dump:
- Patrick Cockburn · Underground in Raqqa · LRB 19 October 2017
- The beauty and mystery of Arabic calligraphy
- Adam Shatz and Olivier Roy · Living Orients · LRB 11 October 2017
Good podcast on Roy's youth.
- Egyptian Activist Receives a Top Human Rights Award - The New York Times
Mohamed Zaree receives Martin Ennals prize.
- La structure tribale en Libye : facteur de fragmentation ou de cohésion ? - Fondation pour la recherche stratégique
Mohamed Ben Lamma.
- Tunisie, vers le rétablissement d'un pouvoir personnel
- Abdellah Tourabi: la dernière chance de l'école publique - H24info
- UAE official says Qatar giving up World Cup may end ‘crisis’ - The Washington Post
Don't worry it's just Emirati clown/police chief Dhahi Khalfan
- The Amateur Fiction of Arab Dictators - BLARB
- Ancient Maps Are Mirrors for the Ancient Psyche | JSTOR Daily
On "The Book of Curiosities"
- Translating ″Mein Kampf″ into Arabic: Hitler′s paperchase - Qantara.de
Hans Wehr's surprising Nazi past
- Europe Slams Its Gates: Imperiling Africa — And Its Own Soul
“Europe wants to use Libya as its Berlin Wall to divide Africa from Europe.”
- The UAE Secretly Picked Up the Tab for the Egyptian Dictatorship’s D.C. Lobbying
- The Children of the Arab Spring Are Being Jailed and Tortured | The Nation
Scott Long on Sisi's war on youth
- Enigma: The anatomy of Israel’s intelligence failure almost 45 years ago
- Do you still remember him?
On Muhammad al-Durrah
- The mass arrests in KSA include ultra-reactionary preachers and reformist scholars, writes @ursulind in @alfanarmedia
- Hold the Egg Sandwich: Egyptian TV Is Calling - NYTimes.com
This is a great New York story and a great Egypt story.
- Egyptian intelligence services extend control over media | RSF
- Saudi Arabia Detains Critics as New Crown Prince Consolidates Power - The New York Times
- Pioneering Egyptian Painter’s Legacy
@ursulind in @alfanarmedia on great new book on Mahmoud Said
- A Dissident Cartoonist Wades into the United States’s Toxic Relationship With Israel - Los Angeles Review of Books
- La Tunisie prisonnière d'une bipolarisation mortifère
This, by former Marzouki advisor Aziz Krichen, is brilliant on Tunisian politics
- Egypt says police killed 10 suspected militants in Cairo - The Washington Post
Alleged to come from Sinai for attacks in Cairo
- Synaps | Black holes
What satellite light signatures tell us about Syria.