Links 1-14 November 2017
Above, gratuitous feature of The Prisoner's opening theme in honor of Saad Hariri's "resignation" – but mostly because I'm rewatching at the moment.
Recently on The Arabist:
And the links:
- Des drones armés français et américains dans le ciel ouest-africain: cela vous rassure, vous?
- The Complete Writings of a Revolutionary
On Ghassan Kanafani's life and writings, out in a new Arabic edition
- Water Is Scarce in Egypt; So Are Research Funds
While Scientists work on solutions to water crisis, authorities slash budgets to research centers. Egypt: The flatworm's revenge | Nature
Louise Sarant on bladder cancer in Egypt.
- “It Started With Conversations — And Then They Started Hitting Each Other”
Important story on ISIS and MB in Egyptian jails by Borzou Daragahi.
- A Huthi Missile, a Saudi Purge and a Lebanese Resignation Shake the Middle East | Crisis Group
- A New Generation of Protests in Morocco? How Hirak al-Rif Endures | Arab Reform Initiative
- King Salman and his son: Winning the US and losing the rest
- The Remaking of the Saudi State - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Saudi Billionaires Said To Move Funds To Escape Asset Freeze - Bloomberg Quint
That giant sucking sound? Capital flight...
- Saudi barred Yemeni president from going home, officials say
- Egyptian activists pan US actress Helen Hunt in open letter - The Washington Post
- Key Saudi source, Mujtahidd, alleges Saudi King-to-be delivered $1bn to Trump Organization during Trump visit | The Mideastwire Blog
- Camp Speicher massacre: Retracing the steps of Isis's worst-ever atrocity | The Independent
- The Saudi Royal Purge—with Trump’s Consent | The New Yorker
- Trump’s Bet on Saudis Looks Increasingly Dangerous, and the $110 Billion Payoff? Unlikely.
- Former Salafist cleric stuns Morocco with calls for gender equality
On Abu Hafs.
- Egypt President Al-Sisi says he will not seek a third term as leader
Let's see how this works out.
- Purge of Saudi princes, businessmen widens, travel curbs imposed
- On not being there | MadaMasr
- What Saudi Arabia’s purge means for the Middle East - The Washington Post
- La contre-révolution arabe empêtrée dans ses contradictions
Moulay Hicham Alaoui.
- Diaries of a garbage bag
Synaps' Ranine Awwad on Lebanon's trash.
- Saudi Prince, Asserting Power, Brings Clerics to Heel - The New York Times
Ben Hubbard continues hus sterling reporting on Saudi.
- Revealed: male rape used systematically in Libya as instrument of war | The Guardian