Links 14-31 October 2017
For the Pyramids nerds among you, read more about the new cavity found in Khufu with cosmic rays (which alone should revive a whole genre, popular in the 1970s, of aliens-build-the-pyramids literature) in Nature and the researchers' press release.
And now for the rest of the links:
- Egyptians use social media to mock government’s youth event
- Egypt is in danger of becoming a failed state—and western leaders are mishandling the crisis | Prospect Magazine
Robert Springborg on the Sisi disaster.
- How a state of emergency became Egypt’s new normal - The Washington Post
Nathan Brown and Mai Sadany.
- Egypt election in view, Sisi supporters fire up campaign for mandate
- Sun, Sea and Robots: Saudi Arabia’s Sci-Fi City in the Desert
- How Iran is winning game of chess in Kirkuk
Long term operatives on the ground, that’s how.
- Commentary: In Sunni North Africa, fears of Iran’s Shi’ite shadow
- Steve Bannon’s already murky Middle East ties deepen
UAE, Erik Prince, Cambridge Analytica, etc.
- Beyond the Caliphate: Foreign Fighters and the Threat of Returnees - The Soufan Center
- ISIS Jihadis Have Returned Home By the Thousands | The New Yorker
- Iran Saps Strength of Revolutionary Guards With Arrests and Cutbacks - The New York Times
- Dans la région de Sfax, les familles entre colère et deuil après le naufrage de leurs enfants partis pour l’Europe
Over 50 dead after migrant tragedy in Tunisia
- Militants rob bank, attack church in Egypt's Sinai; 7 dead - LA Times
- Inspection battle threatens Egypt's wheat supply
Wheat inspector on paid junkets would delay shipments over late breakfast.
- Rex Tillerson and the Unraveling of the State Department - The New York Times
- City | Thomson Reuters Foundation
Cairo is most dangerous megacity for women.
- ‘Allah’ Is Found on Viking Funeral Clothes - The New York Times
By Thor's Hammer!
- Death toll from Somalia bomb attacks tops 300
Terrible attack in Mogadishu