Links 25 January - 6 February 2017
I don't know about you, but the most exciting news for me this week is that there may yet be another movie adaption of Frank Herbert's Dune. In other news:
- Europe’s migration trade with Egypt | MadaMasr
- Tunis Greets an Ottoman-Era History Long Banished by Its Dictators - NYT
The new(ish) critique of Bourguiba in Tunisia
- Morocco Second (Official) - YouTube
Pretty funny if not very PC message to Trump from Morocco
- Islamic authority rejects Egypt's move to reform divorce | Fox News
Another sign of Azhar rejecting Sisi's meddling
- Morocco Brings the Western Sahara Issue Back to the AU - Carnegie
- Violents heurts entre manifestants et forces de l’ordre dans la province d’Al Hoceima - Le Desk
More protests in Rif
- Que veut Nasser Zafzafi, l’activiste qui mène la contestation rifaine? - Le Desk
Interview with Rif activist.
- Turning the tide
The politics of irregular migration in the Sahel and Libya
- Les grandes manœuvres de Poutine en Méditerranée | Un si Proche Orient
- Apocalypse, Not! - Carnegie Middle East Center
Algeria is not on the verge of collapse, says Dalia Ghanem-Yazbek
- Noureddine Ayouch, l’homme qui offre à l’arabe marocain ses lettres de noblesse
On the first darija dictionary.
- Dennis Ross's advice to Trump is 'bullshit, delusional or lying,' to gut two-state concept -- Peace Now
A reminder of the disgrace that is WINEP.
- Breitbart Staffer Turned Trump Aide Is Posterboy For New Admin’s Nationalism
I've met this guy; he's certifiable.
- New EU Partnerships in North Africa: Potential to Backfire? | migrationpolicy.org
Excellent piece on the central Med refugee/migration crisis.
- Prominent Human Rights Activists in Egypt Targeted by Sophisticated Hacking Attacks
- Morocco rejoins African Union after 33-year absence
- Dakhla-Sahara Session de Group Doueh et Cheveu - Culture / Next
Cool Sahrawi-fusion music.
- The city that didn’t know where to start
Alex Simon on Tripoli, Lebanon.
- Cairo Without End | by Yasmine El Rashidi | NYR Daily
- Sisi is the president of panic and must go, says Egypt rival | Middle East Eye
Aboulfotouh interview in Anadolu. Courageous.
- Who can unblock Morocco? | The Economist
- Egypt’s Rickety Dictatorship - The New York Times
- Aleppo's Bitter Lessons
- Yemen at risk of all-out famine in 2017 | Middle East Eye
- Frank Gaffney Is Behind New Anti-Muslim Interfaith Group « LobeLog
This confirms move to ban MB aimed at American associations.
- Egypt as “Securocratic” State | CONNECTED in CAIRO
- Report: Entire State Department Management Team Fired By Trump Admin
- Food and crisis in Egypt
- Libya Beyond ISIS: Prospects for Unity and Stability - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Black Label - Carnegie Middle East Center
Michele Dunne and Nathan Brown on the perils of listing the MB as a FTO
- Les inquiétantes révélations de l’attentat du Nouvel An à Istanbul | Un si Proche Orient
- Designating the Muslim Brotherhood a “terrorist organization” puts academic researchers at risk - The Washington Post