Links 6 December 2017 - 14 January 2018
- Egypt First | Foreign Affairs
Michael Wahid Hanna and Daniel Benaim on Sisi's foreign policy
- D’Ahmed Abou Hashima au Septième voisin : la nationalisation des pertes des médias égyptiens – Culture et politique arabes
- CURIA - OPINION OF ADVOCATE GENERAL WATHELET delivered on 10 January 2018
Western Sahara legal ruling on Morocco-EU fisheries deal
- A week of Province of Sinai attacks on Egyptian and Palestinian targets | MadaMasr
Interesting and rare reporting by Mourad Higazy and Omar Said
- Libya's Monetary Crisis - Lawfare
- U.S. Counterterrorism Forces Are Active in Many More Places Than You Know | US News
- Tunisian anti-austerity campaign leader says social contract is broken | Middle East Eye
- The Militarization of the Red Sea – LobeLog
- ‘Make Egypt Great Again’: Israeli experts question neighbor’s military buildup
- Violences sexuelles : « La nature a remplacé la culture comme origine de la violence »
A delightfully intelligent, erudite and provocative piece on #balancetonporc and the fallout of the Weinstein affair by Olivier Roy.
- How Egyptian security dealt with IEDs threat? - Egypt Today
This is a useful overview of the official perspective.
- Egypt Opens Criminal Inquiry Over New York Times Article - The New York Times
- Legal advisor says EU fisheries deal with Morocco invalid - The Washington Post
- Saudi prince 'fired after audio tape contradicts state' | Saudi Arabia News | Al Jazeera
- Tunisian Jewish school burned as anti-austerity riots rage elsewhere
- Why has Israel banned Jewish leftists but not members of Nazi-linked groups?
- Tunisian opposition calls for protests until austerity plan scrapped | Middle East Eye
- Shafiq quit Egypt election bid after threats of 'sex tape' and corruption slurs: Sources
- Egypt court jails hundreds for offences at 2013 Cairo sit-in | Middle East Eye
- Al Jazeera bureau in Yemen forcibly closed | Al Jazeera
- A flammable peace: Why gas deals won’t end conflict in the Middle East | European Council on Foreign Relations
Interesting on east Med gas geopolitics that could be a boon for Egypt.
- The Origins of Modern Kleptocracy – Power 3.0: Understanding Modern Authoritarian Influence
- Egyptian spy ordered TV smears against presidential hopeful Shafiq | Middle East Eye
More of this "Ashraf al-Kholy" character
- Russia Says Its Syria Bases Beat Back an Attack by 13 Drones
- Sudan turns to UN over territory dispute with Egypt
- Man killed as Tunisia anti-austerity protests spread
- Why are tensions rising in the Red Sea region?
- Iranian lawmaker says 3,700 arrested in days of violent protests
- Deadly protests grip Sudan over rising bread prices
- How the Tariq Ramadan Scandal Derailed the #Balancetonporc Movement in France | The New Yorker
Had forgotten to link to this excellent Adam Shatz piece of how France turned discussion of sexual abuse against women into a controversy over Islam
- Full Court Press - Carnegie
On changes to the Saudi judiciary
- Turkey-based TV airs Egypt tapes on Jerusalem
Same as obtained by NYT presumably, suggesting MB link
- Atheist mother loses custody of children in Egypt
But Sisi is leading religious reform and a secular spring..
- Human rights chief embezzled $1 million to cover losses on internet gambling, police say
Quite an investigation by Brian Whitaker on UAE-linked Palestinian fraudster
- Qatari-owned jewels stolen in audacious heist in Venice | Middle East Eye
It's comforting to know that there are still jewel thieves plotting heists
- As a 2-State Solution Loses Steam, a 1-State Plan Gains Traction - The New York Times
Of course, the Palestinian one-staters are far more democratic than their Israeli counterparts.
- Tapes Reveal Egyptian Leaders’ Tacit Acceptance of Jerusalem Move
- Saudi attorney general: 11 princes arrested after crowding near palace - Al Arabiya English
They were protesting being made to pay their utility bills 9allegedly - dissidents say this is made up)
- Palestinians rally against Greek Orthodox patriarch
Over alleged sale of land to Israelis
- Cleric Salman al-Awda 'held over Qatar tweet'
"Salman al-Awda detained over refusal to tweet specific text to support the Saudi-led blockade of Qatar, his family says."
- Egypt refutes NYT report on tacit acceptance of Jerusalem move
NYT should release the recordings it obtained.
- Gulf Crisis Expands into the Horn of Africa
James Dorsey on Turkey's entry into the Egypt-Sudan-Ethiopia-Gulf nexus
- La monarchie marocaine, ce vecteur de la contamination
Excellent post on corruption as a mechanism of control
- Parfum de scandale dans une ferme royale - Le Desk
Exploitation of women laborers in king of Morocco’s farms.
- Au Yémen, les Emirats arabes unis se rapprochent des Frères musulmans
UAE joins KSA in engaging Yemeni MB party Islah.
- Disparition de Gilbert Meynier, « passeur » de l’histoire algérienne
- « En Syrie, le viol était le maître mot »
Utterly devastating accounts of systematic rape in Assad's jails