Links 15-21 January 2018
Recently on the arabist
- L’armée égyptienne perd pied au Sinaï | Un si Proche Orient
- The Rise of Transnational Kleptocracy – Power 3.0: Understanding Modern Authoritarian Influence
- J’ai vu pleurer les enfants du Rif !
- Egypt’s Sisi Fires Spy Chief as Shuffle of Top Aides Continues - The New York Times
- Trump Administration Accelerating Israeli Embassy Move - WSJ
US Embassy to OneStateLand could open in a year
- Edward Saïd vu par Dominique Eddé | L'ORIENT LITTERAIRE
Said as seen by his lover.
- New Security Solutions for a Middle East in Crisis
First in a series of essay on regional security
- Egypt Raises 'Extreme Concern' About Nile Dam With Ethiopia
I wonder if this linked with the firing of Sisi's intelligence head
- Jadaliyya | An Interview with Amr Hamzawy: Reflections on the Future of Democracy in Egypt and Beyond
- Activists condemn Tripoli militia action, call for legitimate army | Libya Herald
- The Rise of “Bad Civil Society” in Israel - SWP
- Egypt: The Battle Over Appointing Judicial Bodies’ Chief Justices - Carnegie
- Rivalry for Religious Dominance in Egypt - Carnegie
- ISIS Claims Responsibility for Baghdad Bombings
First since fall of Mosul
- La justice rouvre l’enquête sur l’assassinat d’Henri Curiel | Mediapart
Who killed the Egypt-born communist activist?
- How the Muslim Brotherhood's women activists stepped up in Egypt | Middle East Eye
- Salafi mission calls into question Saudi concept of moderation – LobeLog
MBS spreading Salafism in Yemen.
- Algérie, une capitale interdite de manifestation
Stirrings of unrest in Algeria.
- The Others: Foreign Fighters in Libya - The Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- On the Politics behind Tunisia’s Protests – The Cairo Review of Global Affairs
My and Michael Ayari's piece reproduced here.
- China bans Muslim children from Quran classes | Al Jazeera
This is ill-advised.
- Ethiopia, Egypt, Sudan, and Eritrea tensions over Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam on Nile river — Quartz
- Revolt Does Not Always Mean a Revolutionary Road - Carnegie
- Tuesday Becomes Execution Day in Egypt - The New York Times
To think Egypt used to quite rarely execute people.
- Riyadh Ritz, Converted to Posh Prison by Saudis, Is Reopening to Guests - The New York Times
The line on Valentine's Day is gold.
- Donald Trump thanks Qatar for combating 'terrorism' | Al Jazeera
Well that's a change of tune.
- How a Palestine activist became chief of 'Fox News' | al-bab.com
This is quite a story by Brian Whitaker.
- "Kamayanbaghi", le 8e album qui signe avec force le retour des Hoba Hoba Spirit
A great Moroccan band
- Virtual Caliphate Rebooted: The Islamic State’s Evolving Online Strategy
Jade Parker and Charlie Winter
- Egyptian parliament steps closer to banning journalists from court
- Qatar may ask Iran for help in hosting the World Cup
- Egypt approves cabinet reshuffle ahead of elections
Why would you have a reshuffle a few months before presidential elections - unless you already knew the outcome?
- En Tunisie, « le risque d’une dérive autoritaire »
Michael Ayari and Issandr El Amrani
- Gulf tension: Are Egypt and Sudan about to go to war? | Middle East Eye
- Yennayer: Between Algeria's politics, popular celebration and 'invented tradition' | Middle East Eye