Links 1-17 June 2018
- The Long Shadow of 9/11
Rob Malley and Jon Finer on US counter-terrorism policy
- Malley and Finer’s Foreign Affairs Article “The Long Shadow of 9/11,” Annotated
by Alex Thurston of the Sahel Blog
- Who gets to tell Iraq’s history?
Avi Asher-Shapiro on the NYT ISIS document affair.
- The Brief, Particular Cruelty of Morocco’s Own Goal
- La politique du feuilleton (1/2) : l’Égypte et sa police
There were six series praising the police on Egyptian TV this Ramadan.
- Libyan army arrests former bin Laden driver Abu Sufian bin Qumu in Derna
I really wonder why he is considered one of the most important people in Al Qaeda if he was just OBL's driver.
- The outrageous racism that 'graced' Arab TV screens in Ramadan
Ramadan series think blackface is funny.
- The Mask It Wears
Pankaj Mishra on liberal internationalism.
- Mohamed Salah and the power to inspire dreams | Mada Masr
- Maghreb: Dream of Unity, Reality of Divisions
- The Real Reason the Middle East Hates NGOs
- Scotland-sized 'dead zone' discovered in Gulf of Oman
- Morocco’s Religious Diplomacy: To What End?
- Is Morocco’s boycott the future of political resistance in north Africa? | MEE
- Top US official eyes Israel's Egypt border for Trump wall ideas
- Who Is Behind Trump’s Links to Arab Princes? A Billionaire Friend | NYT
David D. Kirkpatrick
- Moscow’s Maghreb Moment
Dalia Ghanem-Yazbeck and Vasily Kuznetsov
- Islam’s New ‘Native Informants’
Nesrine Malek on Ali, Nawaz, etc.
- Newspaper Pledges to Return ISIS Documents to Iraq
@ursulind in @AlFanarMedia on the resolution (seemingly) of the NYTimes' removal of ISIS files from Iraq
- What Happens in the Gulf Doesn’t Stay in the Gulf
Rob Malley on how Qatar-UAE rivalry is destabilizing Somalia
- Saudi Arabia Suffers Shock Collapse In Inward Investment - Forbes
Funny how that happens when you arrest and blackmail your businessmen.
- Sisi's 'final' term? | Mada Masr
Must-read for Egypt-watchers on constitutional amendments
- Innocence Abroad
@ursulind on what American can learn abroad, and the writing of Henry James, Suzy Hansen, James Baldwin & Omar El Akkad