Links 1 July - 20 August 2018
Now that the summer holidays are over, time to get rid of the backlog of links for the last few weeks:
- Uri Avnery, veteran peace activist and among first Israelis to meet Arafat, dies at 94 - Haaretz
- One Million Muslim Uighurs Have Been Detained by China, the U.N. Says. Where’s the Global Outrage? | The Intercept
- Les fantômes de Raba’a planent sur l’Egypte | Mediapart
Long piece deconstructing the Rabaa massacre
- Le pétrolier Total quitte l’Iran et renonce à un vaste projet gazier | Le Monde
Iran formally announces Total withdrawal due to US pressure
- Qatar, Turkey central banks ink currency swap deal
- Water Wars on the Nile | Foreign Affairs
Good overview of Nile & Red Sea geopolitics by Michael Hanna and Daniel Benaim
- A Place of Distinctive Despair | Brookings
Fred Wehrey and Emad Badi on Sirte
- A Top Syrian Scientist Is Killed, and Fingers Point at Israel | NYT
- The World Abetted Assad's Victory in Syria
- Beyond fragility: Syria and the challenges of reconstruction in fierce states
- Foreign Belly Dancers? Egyptians Shake Their Heads (and Hips) | NYT
- Five Books That Take You Beyond One Thousand and One Nights
- The Thousand and One Nights (Alf Layla wa-Layla) (2 vols.)
- The Reith Lectures | BBC
Margaret MacMillan examines the role of civilians as supporters and victims of conflict.
- Scholars Decry Arrest of Ph.D. Student in Egypt
MESA statement on Waleed Khalil el-Sayed Salem.
- UAE extends compulsory military service to 16 months amid Yemen war
At what point do Emiratis say, no conscription without representation?
- The Maps of Israeli Settlements That Shocked Barack Obama | The New Yorker
Not that he did anything about it.
- Anthropology of Coptic Christianity Since 2012
A reading list of recent literature
- Egypt Sentences Lebanese Tourist to 8 Years in Prison for Facebook Video | NYT
You can't make this stuff up.
- How the West and the UN Failed Libya | Atlantic Council
Striking talk of partition in this piece.
- 6-meter-high barrier to seal off airport area south of Arish under construction | Mada Masr
- How a victorious Bashar al-Assad is changing Syria | The Economist
- Pourquoi les Juifs ont quitté le Maroc | Youtube
Interesting documentary on why Jews (mostly) left Morocco (French/Hebrew) in the 60s.
- Unwelcome Sound on Germany’s Stages: Musicians Who Boycott Israel
It's not complicated, Germany: being pro-BDS comes from the same values as being anti-Nazi.
- France aiding Egypt repression through arms sales: NGOs | Al Jazeera
- Syrian government offensive has displaced at least 270,000 in southwest