Links from my del.icio.us account for March 17th through March 19th:
- Guest Post by Lawrence Wilkerson: Some Truths About Guantanamo Bay - The Washington Note - "Iraq, GITMO, Abu Ghraib, heavily-biased U.S. support for Israel, and a host of other strategic errors have insured al-Qa'ida's resilience, staying power and motivation. How we deal with the future attacks of this organization and its cohorts could well seal our fate, for good or bad. Osama bin Laden and his brain trust, Aman al-Zawahiri, are counting on us to produce the bad."
- IDF in Gaza: Killing civilians, vandalism, and lax rules of engagement - Haaretz - Israel News - On Israeli soldiers routinely killing civilians: "The lives of Palestinians, let's say, is something very, very less important than the lives of our soldiers. So as far as they are concerned they can justify it that way," he said. "
- Le Figaro - International : Une veuve syrienne divise l'Arabie saoudite - "Moderate" Saudi Arabia: 75-year-old Syrian widow sentenced to four months prison, 40 lashes and exile from Saudi for having received two young men in her house. They were doing her shopping for her.
- Egypt may boycott peace treaty anniversary over Lieberman pick - Haaretz - Israel News - The appointment of Lieberman as FM is a tough one to handle for Egypt: he's insulted Mubarak and once threatened to nuke the Aswan dam. This could mean future Egypt-Israel relations will mostly go through PM Netanyahu and the Ministry of Defense (as in Amos Gilad) in the future. Can't imagine Hosni Mubarak wants a photo-op with Lieberman in Sharm al-Sheikh.
- globeandmail.com: Mubarak on diplomatic offensive to promote Mideast peace - Article has some great analysis at the bottom.