Links from my del.icio.us account for March 30th:
- Israeli and Palestinians unite to rob a bank
(AFP) - Fantastic. We need more of this kind of Arab-Israeli unity against bankers.
- Israeli army disperses protest in West Bank town
(Reuters) - "Reuters - Israeli soldiers used teargas on Saturday to disperse some 50 demonstrators protesting against Jewish settlement and Israeli closures in the West Bank."
- Egypt releases pro-Palestinian blogger
(AFP) - Forgot to post this when it happened: blogger Dia Eddin Gad, imprisoned for his pro-Gaza views and held incommunicado for days if not weeks, has been released.
- Almasry Alyoum - Shura Council Warns Of Shantytowns Turning Into Time Bombs; MPs Demand Special Forces To Remove Them - Solution to bad urban planning: send in the special forces!
- Will Arab leaders discuss Israeli airstrike in Sudan? | csmonitor.com - Highlights Arab silence on this issue, difficult position of Egypt.
- Almasry Alyoum - American University In Cairo Signed Contract With The Pentagon To Provide Confidential Information About Egypt - This is the top headline in Masri al-Youm today: AUC, which has a deep fear of bad press (and is often quite cowardly about it) must be shitting its proverbial pants. Note that this funding is apparently for medical research as the US Navy labs, which is nothing new (although they get accused of all sorts of things, like conspiring to spread AIDS among virtuous Egyptians, by a certain part of the press.)
- Arabs Find Little Unity, But Back Sudan Leader - WSJ.com - Tough article on Doha summit notes strongest point of unity is embrace of Bashir.
- Annals of National Security: Syria Calling: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker - Seymour Hersh on "flipping" Syria.