Links for January 24th
Links from my del.icio.us account for January 24th:
- FT.com / Comment / Opinion - Saudi patience is running out - Humble civil servant Turki al-Faisal sends warning to Obama.
- Notes from Palestine - "I met a mother who was at home with her ten children when Israeli soldiers entered the house. The soldiers told her she had to choose five of her children to 'give as a gift to Israel.' As she screamed in horror they repeated the demand and told her she could choose or they would choose for her. Then these soldiers murdered five of her children in front of her. "
- Revolution, Facebook-Style - Can Social Networking Turn Young Eygptians Into a Force for Democratic Change? - NYTimes.com - A so-so piece on April 6 and Egyptian bloggers.
- Iran's Postmodern Beast in Gaza - The Atlantic (January 5, 2009) - The reliably Zionist Atlantic (remember James Fallows' article on Muhammad al-Dura, or Jeffrey Goldberg's rantings) has Gaza as "the western edge of the Iranian empire."
- Israel indicts two Iran TV journalists for reporting on Gaza ground invasion - Haaretz - Israel News - Sounds like bullshit excuse to go after Iran-affiliatied journos.
- Out of the rubble - The National Newspaper - Mouin Rabbani writes Mahmoud Abbas' obituary: "In his initial response Abbas laid responsibility for the conflict at Hamas’s doorstep, in one stroke reducing his role to that of a factional leader opportunistically siding with his cousin against his brother. More to the point, he unleashed the full power of his security forces against his own people. Not to prevent a Hamas coup in the West Bank, or even attacks against Israel, but to suppress pro-Palestinian demonstrations of the kind permitted even within Israel."
- Ibrahim: Al-Qaeda wants to Hit the US Again and turn Obama into another Bush - Egyptian Gamaa says Qaeda wants to attack US soon in revenge for Gaza.
- Jamal's Propaganda: 6 degrees of Myopia - New Orascom deal for Lebanon mobile network, signed by Hizbullah ally, forgets Orascom has business interests in Israel. Will Sawiris get swindled in the Sham again?