Links for January 31st
Links from my del.icio.us account for January 31st:
- Livni Slams Olmert Peace Plan, 'Won't Divide Jerusalem' - Defense/Middle East - Israel News - Israel National News - Livni won't divide Jerusalem.
- Israel National News - This is the site of the Israeli far-right - it has a widget showing recent electoral polls, with parties separated by their attitude to peace. Yisraeli Beiteinu is ahead of Labor is most polls, Likud several points ahead of Kadima.
- McClatchy Washington Bureau | 01/27/2009 | Israeli troops killed Gaza children carrying white flag, witnesses say - "The evidence we've gathered in two of the cases so far is exceedingly strong," said Fred Abrahams, a senior researcher with Human Rights Watch working in the Gaza Strip. "All the research so far suggests they shot civilians that were leaving their homes with white flags."
- Spanish FM: We'll act to prevent war crimes probes against Israel - Haaretz - Israel News - Why is Spain changing this law now for Israel when it has been active for years regarding other countries?
- My terror as a human shield: The story of Majdi Abed Rabbo - Middle East, World - The Independent - The tale of a Fatah man in Gaza who said he was forced to collaborate by the IDF, act as a go-between to Hamas fighters.
- ISRAEL: Elections, and the prophecy of pot | Babylon & Beyond | Los Angeles Times - Israeli green party wants to legalize pot so Israelis don't have to buy it from Arabs, thinks Hamas and Hizbullah will then just have to get stoned: "They'll smoke it. They'll smoke it, David, and be calm. Because a good Arab is a calm Arab. "
- Police On My Back - Eric Alterman - a liberal pro-Israel American commentator on the media - has an excellent takedown of The New Republic's resort to accusations of anti-Semitism and worse on critics of Israeli policy.
- TPMMuckraker | Talking Points Memo | Saddam-Qaeda Conspiracy Theorist Surfaces Writing Iraq Reports For The Pentagon - Laurie Mylroie, who said Saddam was behind 9/11, still getting Pentagon contracts until recently.
- Hamas needs to be part of peace process: Blair - Yahoo! News - Very conditionally.
- Dennis Ross is So Very Special - Mattthew Yglesias that Ross, to be envoy to Iran, advocates not having envoys to Iran.