Links late October 2011
Really overdue link dump:
- Omar Sharif apparently hits woman at Doha film festival - video | Film | guardian.co.uk
He beat up Edward Said at school, too.
- Full: Hisham Matar on Libya's awakening - The National
- Essam Atta : The latest victim of torture in Egypt "Graphic"
- Face à la corvée des élections, un aveu d’échec et des vieux procédés
- Bahraini royal accused in $6m bribe case
- The End of the American Era | The National Interest
- Islamists Today: Egypt’s souring transition
Khalil Anani's take on SCAF.
- Echec relatif des Frères musulmans aux élections du syndicat des médecins égyptiens - Les blogs du Diplo
Excellent post on the MB's lackluster results in the Doctors' Syndicate election in Egypt.
- What Egypt might learn from Tunisia | Al-Masry Al-Youm
- "All schools in Saudi Arabia yesterday were required to start the school day with one hour discussions about the "virtues of Prince Sultan."'"
- Unintended Consequences: Iranian Opposition Concerned About Google Reader Changes
- On Admitting Michael Nabil to a Mental Hospital
- Controlling Libya's weapons
- Asia Times Online :: House of Saud risks oblivion
On the gerontocracy
- Qatar & UAE text messages to Tunisian voters: "Vote AnNahda!"
- From Qatar, Abdel Jalil asks for prolonged NATO operations
Because of Qadhafi remnants. Really?
- "It is estimated that only about 40 per cent of Syrians oppose Assad..."
I don't know how people know these things, although there was a huge turnout for the pro-Assad rally this week.
- Egypt Islamists split before vote, some call for unity | Reuters
- Hizbullah’s part in Gaddafi’s downfall « LRB blog
Charles Glass on Qadhafi and Imam Sadr.
- Inside the Mideast prisoner swap - Israel - Salon.com
- AFP: Egyptian jailed for Facebook Islam insult
- Muzzling of Media by Egyptian Military Reaches High Point | Al Akhbar English
- Recipe Comix: Malaka Gharib's Perfect Egyptian Breakfast - Saveur.com
- It’s Trending #Egypt: Freedom of what? Bikya Masr
On Yousri Fouda's suspension of broadcasting in Egypt.
- Leslie Gelb admits he supported Iraq war for the sake of his career
Confirming he's a self-serving p.o.s.
- Inside the tiny Washington group that is 'mainstreaming Palestine' | The Cable
The Israel lobby hearts ATFP.
- Democracy is not killing the Copts - Freedom at Issue
- Egypt protesters post their wills on Twitter, Facebook - latimes.com
- Emergency Committee For Israel Board Member Calls Palestinians 'Savages,' 'Unmanned Animals,' 'Food For Sharks' | ThinkProgress
- United States needs to reevaluate its assistance to Israel - The Washington Post
Walter Pincus, at long last asking the right questions.
- Aboul-Ela Maadi, Egypt’s Center Party Leader, Faces New Competition
Profile by Anthony Shadid.
- This is the Way the Iraq War Ends, with Bangs and Wimpers | Informed Comment
- 'Egypt intercepts Libyan surface-to-air missile in Sinai - JPost
- Alon Ben-Meir: Egypt and Israel: Within the Realm of Possibilities
Completely one-sided argument here.
- In Egypt, young and tech-savvy Islamists try to project new image - latimes.com
- Saudi Arabia's Invisible Hand in the Arab Spring | Foreign Affairs
Here Bradley basically argues all Islamists are in Saudi pockets. Not true: Saudis are challenged at home by Islamists, and in long term certain Islamists post the most threat to them.
- An Appeal by the Muslim Brotherhood to all Egyptians
In short: uppity Copts should be patient, Israel did it.
- Egypt lawyer files lawsuit against information minister over protest coverage - Bikya Masr : Bikya Masr
- Cairo witnesses blame security forces for bloodshed at Coptic march
- An ominous message from Tunisia
Secular Tunisians unhappy that their grassroots not as good as Islamists.
- Sky News prepares for crowded Arab market - FT.com
Bin Talal backing co-branded channel.
- Fragile Egypt
Phil Weiss' impressions from his recent trip.
- With Gadhafi on the run, focus turns to Sahara's Tuareg
A rate story from Agadez.
- My Advice to the Occupy Wall Street Protesters | Politics News | Rolling Stone
Matt Taibbi on #occupywallst
- Concealing the Past
On that piece of shit Elie Wiesel.
- Saddam 'double' escapes Alexandria porn kidnap gang, again - Ahram Online
Best headline ever.
- Who Gains, Who Loses in Israel-Hamas Prisoner Swap to Free Gilad Shalit? - Global Spin - TIME.com
Shalit to be exchanged for Barghouti and other Pal prisoners.
- Has the January revolution achieved anything? - Opinion - Ahram Online
- La Saga des baltajias au Maroc
The king of Morocco's baltagiya